Podcast Episode 07 – “How to Fix Your Marketing to Make Your Business Boom” with Dr. J.J. Peterson
Episode 07 – Your competitors are getting more leads, more sales, more subscribers and more raving fans than you. Why is that? It’s probably because your marketing isn’t as clear as it should be.
I’ve learned that it’s critically important to be clear when you’re delivering your message. You also need a clear path for people to follow in order to learn what you offer, then accept the offer and take action on it.
The best brands and the best sites aren’t necessarily the ones that win. The brands that succeed the most are typically the ones that have the clearest messages. You need to make your messaging VERY easy for people to understand.
At Storybrand, Donald Miller and Dr. J.J. Peterson teach business owners how to clarify their messages so they can build their business. In this episode, Dr. Peterson breaks down the elements of marketing that you need in order to make your messaging clear so you can grow your business.
You have to change your mindset from “sell” to “serve.”
If you can do that, you will win in your business.
– Dr. J.J. Peterson, Chief of Teaching and Faciliation at Storybrand
Creating a One-Liner that Will Kickstart Your Business' Growth
The best brands aren't necessarily the ones that win. The winning brands are the ones with the clearest messages. Creating a clear and powerful "one-liner" is the most important first step to take in clarifying your message so you get more business.
You have successfully requested the free guide, "Creating a One-Liner that Will Kickstart Your Business' Growth"
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice.
This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
Take the #YellowTuxChallenge!!
For this episode’s giveaway, I want to encourage you to think outside the box, so I’m issuing the Yellow Tux Challenge.
Come up with something fun, unique, or quirky that you can implement in your practice. The more interesting, the crazier, the better. Brainstorm with your staff. Maybe even have an “Ideapalooza.”
What’s one thing you can implement in the next weeks to make a statement in your business?
It can be small or it can be big, but think differently!
Once you have your idea, take a picture or video and email it to me at email@example.com. My team and I will pick our favorite and announce the winner on the podcast on June 8th. The winner will receive a bundle of leadership and business growth books, including Jesse’s book, Find Your Yellow Tux.
So, if you want to raise your business to a new level, take the Yellow Tux Challenge.
- Step 1: Take a picture or video of your new standout cool idea for your practice,
- Step 2: email it to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Step 3: Listen in on June 8th to hear me announce the winner. You’ll get some free promotion for your business plus an amazing bundle of books for building your business.
3 Critical Website Elements that Will Help You Get More Traffic: click here.
Connect with Dr. J.J. Peterson and Storybrand:
Featured online community: Semi-Retired Physicians
The COVID-19 quarantine has wrecked a lot of people’s financial plans. There has never been a more important time to make smart investment decisions.
Are you playing it smart? Do you have an investing strategy? Does your plan include investing in real estate? If not, why not?
– Not enough time?
– Not enough money?
– Not enough expertise?
My friends Leti Alto and Kenji Asakura are physicians who blog at Semi Retired MD. Their new course, “Zero to Freedom” will walk you step-by-step through investing in real estate and actually buy your first property with confidence and a get a good return!
The course qualifies for CME, so you can even use your CME budget to pay for it! That’s a no-brainer!
If you sign up by May 31st, you also get $300 off!
Signups are available June 1-14 only, so register now!
If you sign up using this link, you’ll get a free 60 minute personal financial coaching session with me ($200 value).
Back to Busy Summit (use the code “SCOPE” to get 20% off!!)
Are you ready to grow your business as we climb out of the quarantine? What’s your plan? Do you have your team ready? If you’re feeling stressed and don’t know exactly how to begin, you’re not alone!
I know a lot of you have asked about marketing your practice….especially those in private practice. I wanted to let you know that my friend & fellow physician content creator is putting on a summit for private practice physicians (or those interested in it!) called the Back to Busy Summit.
It’s an online, 3 day summit designed to give physicians the tools they need to succeed & thrive in the changed healthcare landscape. Coding, time management, local practice marketing best practices, patient scheduling, personal and practice financial considerations, practice management strategies, mindset issues – and so much more.
I’ll be speaking about leadership and casting vision for your company.
This is a conference you don’t want to miss (especially because you can tune in with your glass of wine, bowl of popcorn, and stay in your PJs!)
Books from Storybrand
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 03:08 – Introduction to Dr. J.J. Peterson.
- 04:11 – An introduction to the Storybrand framework.
- 06:31 – The formula to create a good story.
- 08:10 – There are seven parts to every story.
- 11:51 – If you don’t know the story, you can’t serve your patient.
- 13:17 – The need for clarity in marketing is actually grounded in basic biology.
- 15:39 – What are people’s buying habits in comfortable environments? How does that help us with our marketing efforts?
- 17:36 – If you want your audience to hear you, you have to speak through the noise!
- 19:21 – Fidelity and coherency matter. You have to make sure your messages are done in the proper order or no one will follow your message.
- 22;31 – You have to identify your customer’s needs and their problems, then solve them and tell them how you’re going to solve it.
- 26:01 – Dr. Lacey offers an example of how the marketing message could be formed into a story, and Dr. Peterson breaks it down with an excellent critique.
- 27:55 – What’s a one-liner and why is it important?
- 29:58 – What’s the formula for creating a one-liner?
- 32:37 – Clarity beats cuteness in messaging every day! Cuteness = noise!
- 33:06 – Customers associate brands with the problem they solve. You need to position yourself as the solution to a particular problem.
- 35:04 – Once you have a one-liner, you need a quality wireframe website that works. It needs to follow the 7-part Storybrand framework.
- 40:18 – A lead generator is needed to get your customer’s email but more importantly to give them value and building trust.
- 42:19 – An example of a lead generator. Dr. Peterson breaks it down.
- 43:36 – Good marketing is part of taking good care of our patients.
- 46:18 – Inferior products often beat stronger authorities because they’re easier to understand.
- 48:01 – The hero in the story is the weak character. You want to position yourself as the guide: the consistent, stalwart warrior who helps them win.
- 49:23 – How can you connect to Storybrand?
- 50:50 – Episode summary.
- 51:15 – Do you have a good one-liner? If not, download this week’s free resource, “Creating a One-Liner That Will Kickstart Your Business’ Growth.”
- 52:45 – Don’t forget about the #YellowTuxChallenge
- 53:36 – This week’s featured online community is Semi-Retired Physicians.
- 56:50 – Register for the Zero to Freedom Online course so you can learn how to invest in real estate and gain financial independence quickly!
- 1:04:13 – Signing off
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.