Podcast Episode 11 – “How to Develop a Legendary Social Media Presence ” with Dr. Dana Corriel
Episode 11 – How do we navigate a social media landscape that is confusing, scary, and overwhelming? 15 years ago, it was just Facebook, but now there are over a dozen platforms. We can’t just ignore it, either. Business is increasingly going digital, and a lot of community-building happens digitally too.
Fortunately, Dr. Dana Corriel has the answers. She is the founder of Doctors on Social Media, also known as SoMeDocs. In this episode, she walks us through the strategy to create a legendary social media presence. You CAN take control of your digital footprint! It should be enjoyable, fruitful, and advance your business and career.
This is a great conversation, and you’ll definitely learn things that you didn’t know before. This isn’t coming from a self-styled “social media expert.” Dr. Corriel is ACTUALLY an expert when it comes to building amazing physician brands online.
“You are in control of your digital footprint. So make it great!! Strategy is important!”
– Dr. Dana Corriel
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts
Meet Dr. Dana Corriel
Dr. Dana Corriel is an internal medicine specialist with a passion for amplifying physician voices online. She founded Doctors on Social Media, also known as SoMeDocs, to help physicians boost their message across the internet and various social media platforms.
SoMeDocs has become the premiere place to get content related to social media for physicians. They have over 20,000 followers on their various platforms. You need to check them out! Trust me, there’s a TON of value here!!!
- SoMeDocs main page: Everything related to social media branding you could ever want!
- Facebook collaborative: Looking for other physician Facebook groups to join? Here is a great set for you to check out!
- Physician Databank: Meet other physicians who are crushing it in the online space. Great opportunities for collaboration!
- SoMeDocs Masterclass: If you need one-on-one help with social media strategies or growing your career, this is the place to check out!!
- Dr. Corriel’s blog: Life After Medicine
Free Resource: The Specialist Series
This is a new project brought to you by The Scope of Practice. The goal with this series is to offer recommendations that are relevant to a particular specialty but which may not be applicable to medical professionals more broadly.
For example, what is relevant to clinical practice as a pediatrician may not apply to a general surgeon or a psychiatrist.
Guest authors get full attribution and retain ownership over their work. You’ll also get free promotion on the blog, on my email list and social media channels. If you submit five articles or more, you’ll get featured on the podcast!!!
Featured online community: Dads Married to Doctors
“Dads Married to Doctors” exists to help fathers with physician spouses! This is an amazing brotherhood of men dedicated to being better fathers, husbands, and taking care of their family. There are dozens of subgroups related to a variety of interests. If you can’t find a community here, you’re probably not going to find it elsewhere. They’ve got everything you need! Check them out!!
NBC News featured DMD in a recent article: Read here!
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
Join the Business and Personal Finance for Physicians and Dentists Facebook Group!
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
This week’s blog post: 5 Big Mistakes Physicians Make with Social Media
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode.
- 03:05 – Introducing Dr. Dana Corriel!
- 03:43 – Dr. Corriel shares the impetus for creating SoMeDocs.
- 05:24 – What is SoMe?
- 06:31 – Doctors have been using social media more and more in the last 10 years. We NEED to learn how to do this!
- 07:39 – We have a responsibility to be active on social media to combat lies and misinformation online.
- 09:35 – Beyond the responsibility, there are a lot of benefits to being on social media!
- 10:50 – Physicians can leverage social media to become thought leaders in their niche.
- 11:45 – People are increasingly finding connections and building relationships online, so we need to engage in social media to keep up with the times.
- 13:18 – Dr. Corriel shares the big mistakes that physicians tend to make when first venturing into social media.
- 16:17 – Are you paying close enough attention to your digital reputation?
- 17:40 – There are so many options for platforms to engage with. How do we pick?
- 19:48 – Before you pick a particular social media platform, decide on your personal branding as a physician.
- 21:13 – Dr. Corriel shares how to pick a good “handle” for social media.
- 23:18 – Consider adding “doctor” or “MD” to your handle to give you more opportunities to use your medical degree on social media.
- 24:00 – Dr. Corriel talks about how to keep your personal and professional lives separate on social media.
- 25:55 – Take charge of your digital reputation. Remember, the internet is written in ink!
- 28:10 – Navigating HIPAA is critical if you want to avoid legal troubles.
- 30:48 – It’s easy to misinterpret a message online. How do we protect ourselves from legal liability if someone reads something we wrote and takes action on it that ends up hurting themselves?
- 33:11 – Dr. Corriel shares how SoMeDocs can help physicians.
- 37:35 – SoMeDocs offers ample opportunities to connect to other doctors, work together, and amplify each other’s voices.
- 39:08 – SoMeDocs has some great tools that can help physicians learn, grow, and expand their use of social media.
- 41:39 – Wrapping up the episode
- 42:20 – This week’s free resource: The Specialist Series!
- 43:39 – Introducing this week’s featured online community: Dads Married to Doctors.
- 47:38 – Signing off. See you next week!
Listen to the Next Episode
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.
business, dentist, marketing, physician, practice management, social media