Podcast Episode 13 – “The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to the Career You Love ” with Ken Coleman
Episode 13 – Up to 80% of physicians report experiencing symptoms of burnout. >60% of all people nationally feel some degree of dissatisfaction at work. If you’re one of those people, maybe it’s because you feel stuck in neutral. Maybe you’re just not getting what you need from the people that work with you. As Ken Coleman discusses in this episode, there’s a simple fix.
Here’s the reality: no one cares enough to help you if you don’t go help yourself. You need to seize opportunities when they present themselves. More than that, you need to CREATE opportunities for yourself! Using The Proximity Principle, Ken Coleman will teach us in this episode how to get around the right people and put the right practices in place in order to create opportunities.
Ken Coleman is a nationally syndicated radio host and hosts The Ken Coleman Show podcast. That podcast is consistently ranked in the top 3 of all career-related podcasts. Ken is experienced and knowledgeable, and he’s going to help us figure out how to jumpstart our career growth using the Proximity Principle. Don’t wait for something good to come along – make it happen!!!
“The right people plus the right practices equals opportunity. That’s the Proximity Principle.”
– Ken Coleman
Meet Ken Coleman
#1 Bestselling Author and Nationally Syndicated Radio Host
Pulling from his own personal struggles, missed opportunities and career successes, Ken Coleman will help you discover what you were born to do and provide practical steps to make your dream job a reality.
Ken is the #1 national bestselling author of The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to the Career You Love. He is also the author of One Question: Life-Changing Answers from Today’s Leading Voices. At Ramsey Solutions, he hosts The Ken Coleman Show, a nationally syndicated radio show — part of the Ramsey Network — that airs in more than 35 cities across the U.S every weekday.
Ken is a trusted voice and expert who’s appeared on shows like Fox & Friends, Yahoo! Finance and the Rachael Ray Show. He’s a contributing writer for TheLadders.com and speaks to large audiences across on the country on topics like personal development, career and leadership.
Free Resource: Application/Interview Toolkit
Application and interview season can be overwhelming. It’s increasingly difficult to stand out in a competitive field. You need a great résumé/CV and an outstanding interview. This free guide will help you write your best résumé/CV so that you land your dream job/school.
Featured online community: Physician Moms of Four or More
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
This week’s blog post: 3 People, 2 Places, and 1 Practice that Will Lead to Your Dream Job
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:57 – Please nominate The Scope of Practice for a 2020 Plutus Award: www.thescopeofpractice.com/plutus2020.
- 04:26 – Introduction to Ken Coleman
- 06:42 – Defining “The Proximity Principle”
- 07:52 – Competitive fields require courage to pursue.
- 09:25 – The formula for the Proximity Principle: the right people, plus the right places equals opportunities.
- 11:09 – Physicians don’t really use the Proximity Principle to the fullest extent possible.
- 11:53 – Ken discusses the strategies to employ in order to go find the right people to be around, as well as the limiting beliefs that prevent us from going out and finding them.
- 15:56 – You’re statistically much more likely to get an opportunity from a connection of one of your personal connections than from a “cold call.”
- 17:22 – Success happens in spite of failure!
- 17:43 – Key qualities of a good mentor include: they’re worthy of respect and you therefore care about what they have to say, they want to invest in us, and they speak truth to you in love. They need to give you the hard truth and tell you the thing that’s hard for you to hear but that you need to hear.
- 20:13 – Dr. Lacey shares a story about one of his personal mentors.
- 21:06 – A “producer” is a high performing individual in your field that you have personal access to. They are in your local area or are accessible to you where you can have personal interactions with them. They are trying to win in their chosen industry, and you can get opportunities and connections through your interaction with them.
- 25:00 – In the early stages, you are not limited by the place where you currently are. The Law of the Zip Code states that everything you need to get started is already around you.
- 30:14 – You have to get started! The strategy is “ready, aim, fire!” It’s not “ready, aim, aim, aim, aim” and then never get around to firing. Just get going!!
- 33:16 – In “A Place to Grow,” you have the opportunity to start working and really begin growing yourself and your business. It needs to be a place where you’ll get development and growth opportunities.
- 35:16 – To be a good “Place to Grow,” you need to have a good team culture and know that the people there are looking to help you succeed.
- 37:19 – If you want to run a good place that will continue to grow, you need to cultivate a culture and team dynamic that develops people. That way, you’ll attract top talent and that will continue to grow your business.
- 39:15 – Ken starts to elucidate the practices that will help you succeed. Start by building your “web of connections.” Ask your personal connections to introduce you to people they know.
- 40:49 – Ken shares his last piece of advice: make a list of all the doctors you most want to emulate and start using the Proximity Principle to grow a relationship with them.
- 42:25 – Check out The Ken Coleman Show and read The Proximity Principle.
- 43:16 – This week’s free resource is the Application/Interview Toolkit to help you write a perfect résumé and crush your interviews!
- 44:42 – This week’s featured online community: Physician Moms of Four or More.
- 47:45 – Signing off!
Listen to the next episode
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.