Podcast Episode 18 – “Find Your Perfect Work/Life Balance, Even in the Middle of the COVID-19 Crisis” with Dr. Dawn Baker
Episode 18 – If COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on your life, you probably find parts of your life feeling off-balance. Most physicians I talk to have felt that way for months! Dr. Dawn Baker has written extensively about how to find and maintain work/life balance, and she joins us on The Scope of Practice Podcast today to share her insights.
What if you could feel like you are totally balanced between all the parts of your life? What would it take? What would you give for that? Dr. Baker has some answers for you, and best of all, it’s totally free. In fact, it’s better than that because it all comes directly from you! Your ability to achieve balance is not out of reach.
Dr. Baker drops some incredible wisdom regarding achieving financial independence, the importance of good mentors, the value of self-knowledge, and (my favorite) how to avoid the “Hedonic Treadmill of Achievement.” This conversation will encourage and inspire you!
“Finding balance requires getting off the ‘Hedonic Treadmill of Achievement.’ We have to stop looking for happiness in our next accomplishment and balance ambition with contentment.”
– Dr. Dawn Baker
Meet Dr. Dawn Baker
Connect with Dr. Baker!
She’s also available to speak (and I highly recommend her). She also now does individual coaching. You can connect with her here: https://practicebalance.com/work-with-me/.
Free Resource: Creating a Personal Mission Statement
Creating A Personal Mission Statement
Any good business or nonprofit organization will have a mission statement and/or core values. Download our free guide to get started today.
You have successfully requested the free guide, "Creating a Personal Mission Statement"
This week’s blog post: Work/Life Balance – Fantasy or Reality?
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:32 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please leave a review!
- 02:10 – Join the “Business and Personal Finance for Physicians and Dentists Facebook Group”
- 03:20 – Introduction to Dr. Dawn Baker
- 06:25 – Dr. Baker defines the concept of “balance.”
- 07:03 – Balance is a “continuum.” Self-knowledge is the key to unlocking that balance.
- 08:26 – Finding balance is different for everyone. Step 1: take some time to reset. Step 2: take time for quiet reflection. Step 3: take a personality test and reflect on what you learned about yourself. It takes an individualized approach.
- 12:11 – Physicians are uniquely challenged when it comes to finding business due to a combination of wanting to care for others more than ourselves, as well as thinking we have a responsibility to do more than we can.
- 13:41 – During times of major upheaval in our lives, we have to remember that we can’t have it all at one time. You CAN have it all, just not all at once.
- 16:27 – Communication with your spouse and family is critical to success in finding balance.
- 18:01 – Claiming victimhood as a mantle is the beginning of the end for us if our goal is to find balance.
- 19:13 – Dr. Dawn Baker loves the idea of speaking about things in terms of “I get to” instead of “I have to.” That’s the best way to destroy victimhood.
- 23:11 – Mentors are a powerful tool that are useful for helping you find balance.
- 26:02 – Dr. Dawn Baker now has an opportunity to mentor other physicians by taking what she has learned and coaching other physicians.
- 29:39 – Dr. Baker shares the details of her “personal money makeover.”
- 31:58 – “Keeping up with the Joneses” is a losing proposition! Always!!
- 33:56 – “Minimalism” is a two-edged sword that can cut against you.
- 35:11 – Financial independence is a huge part of finding balance. It’s like a superpower!
- 37:35 – Finding balance doesn’t mean giving your career an ultimatum!
- 39:36 – Balance is highly individualized but may have different manifestations for men and women.
- 41:46 – Our experiences shape our mindset, and that affects how we find balance for ourselves.
- 43:15 – How do we find balance in times of great crisis like COVID?
- 46:01 – Dr. Dawn Baker shares her parting advice with The Scope of Practice listeners: take time to know yourself better.
- 48:06 – Summary of the episode
- 48:51 – This week’s free resource: “Creating a Personal Mission Statement”
- 49:38 – signing off
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.