Podcast Episode 22 – “How I Built My Side Hustle Business to Make $50,000 per Month” with Dr. Heather Hammerstedt
Episode 22 – Have you thought about building a side hustle to help you diversify your income and create a more financially secure position? Dr. Heather Hammerstedt did more than just think about it. She built a non-profit organization to provide emergency care in Africa, then built a physician coaching business that now makes over $50,000 per month.
Guess what? She does all of this while still having a full-time emergency medicine practice and being a mother! In this episode, she shares her expertise, experiences, and advice with our listeners. If you’re looking for inspiration to help you start your own dream business, this conversation is for you!
Dr. Hammerstedt has phenomenal insights to share with us, learned over years of hustling and grinding to create a thriving business. This episode is empowering and will equip you to get started on your own dream business!
“I think it’s important to control our own future as physicians, and building your own business is a great way to do that.”
– Dr. Heather Hammerstedt
Meet Dr. Heather Hammerstedt
Dr Heather Hammerstedt is a double boarded emergency physician and lifestyle medicine physician, with an additional masters in international public health policy. She has grown a thriving lifestyle medicine coaching company to >600k/ yr revenue while balancing clinical EM work, nonprofit global health work, and being a momma to two littles and two furries. She promises she’s an open book, so we’ll see what we can dig into!
Connect with Dr. Hammerstedt
- Weight Wellness Program: https://www.wholisthealth.com/wholeyou-programs/weight-wellness/
- Curate Your Health Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/curate-your-health/id1478410990
- Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/curateyourhealth
- Snacking Freedom Challenge (free)- https://www.wholisthealth.com/lp/snacking-challenge-free/
- Free strategy breakthrough call regarding food/mindset – https://www.wholisthealth.com/lp/wwpc-sc-heather/
Free Resource: Creating a Personal Mission Statement
Creating A Personal Mission Statement
Any good business or nonprofit organization will have a mission statement and/or core values. Download our free guide to get started today.
You have successfully requested the free guide, "Creating a Personal Mission Statement"
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
- 00:00 – Introduction to episode 22.
- 01:31 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please leave a review!
- 01:59 – Check out all of the great resources available for free at www.thescopeofpractice.com, and click on the “Resources” tab at the top of the website.
- 03:02 – Join the “Business and Personal Finance for Physicians and Dentists Facebook Group”
- 03:19 – Introduction to Dr. Heather Hammerstedt
- 04:09 – Dr. Heather Hammerstedt is our first guest from Idaho! Let’s get to know her!
- 05:05 – Dr. Hammerstedt shares her experience with a non-profit organization called Global Emergency Care
- 07:53 – It’s a lot more work to build the organization than to work in the organization.
- 08:59 – Many physicians are realizing that it’s important to diversify their income streams. Dr. Hammerstedt shares how she prepared for her side hustle by training for skills other than medicine.
- 11:40 – If we did a better job as physicians educating and equipping our patients to care for their health, we’d have fewer trips to the ER. That’s what led Dr. Hammerstedt to start Wholist.
- 13:25 – Lifestyle medicine is highly scientific and evidence-based.
- 16:00 – As Dr. Hammerstedt was starting to learn more about her business, she got a lot of experience from just trying a lot of things.
- 16:40 – Getting help with marketing and coaching was the key to Dr. Hammerstedt’s growth from $2,000/month to $50,000/month.
- 18:47 – Sales is not a dirty word! You’re not selling if you’re providing something incredibly valuable that people want and need!
- 20:22 – Dr. Heather Hammerstedt says, “Create a team for your business so you can grow more!”
- 22:06 – Getting balance in your life may be the key feature that finally convinces you to get more people in your team.
- 23:30 – Dr. Hammerstedt invested $50,000 of her own money to get started in her business.
- 25:04 – You have to believe in yourself and be stubborn in order to succeed!
- 26:20 – Dr. Heather Hammerstedt reports that her spouse was integral to her success.
- 27:06 – Self-care is critical to our success in any endeavor that we have.
- 29:26 – By and large, physicians across the board are really bad about taking care of themselves.
- 30:39 – Dr. Hammerstedt discusses some of the limiting beliefs that keep physicians from succeeding.
- 33:05 – Dr. Hammerstedt has seen amazing transformations from people making significant lifestyle changes. She shares some incredible stories.
- 34:47 – COVID has made some people get more serious about their lifestyle changes, and some people have slid further into bad habits.
- 36:54 – Dr. Hammerstedt explains the concept of meta-cognition and how it affects our mindset.
- 41:04 – Having a community for encouragement, support, and learning is critically important for success in any venture.
- 43:48 – There are great opportunities for anyone interested in creating an online course.
- 47:12 – Dr. Hammerstedt spends an hour with anyone who first starts the program, and then she connects them with a series of coaches to help them achieve their goals.
- 50:10 – Dr. Hammerstedt shares her parting advice for physicians.
- 52:17 – Summary of the episode
- 53:18 – This week’s free resource: “Creating a Personal Mission Statement”
- 54:11 – signing off
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.