Podcast Episode 31 – “Women in Medicine: Burnout, Entrepreneurship, and The Streetwise MBA” with Dr. Maiysha Clairborne
Episode 31 – If you’ve struggled with burnout, feelings of doubt or inadequacy, or wondering whether you were making a real difference, you’re not alone. Our guest this week is all too familiar with burnout and the problems plaguing physicians these days. Dr. Maiysha Clairborne had to overcome serious depression induced by burnout and rise up to create her incredibly successful business.
After nearly losing her life to burnout, she started a new business and grew it from scratch to an incredible level of success. She is a true entrepreneur, and she now spends her time coaching other physicians how to follow in her footsteps. She has a successful podcast and coaching business, but she does all of this while being an amazing full-time mother.
Dr. Maiysha has been where many of our listeners are: burned out, struggling, feeling alone, and despairing that they’ll ever be happy in their career. Fortunately, that’s right where she once found herself before standing up and crushing those problems. On today’s episode, she’s going to show us how she rose up and conquered those fears and doubts, and she wants to help you do the same!
Free Resource: The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover
10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover
Your patients' clinic experience and your compensation depend heavily on your clinic's productivity and efficiency. Download this guide to learn the easy strategies that can transform your clinic into the productive, efficient, and enjoyable experience you and your patients deserve. It only takes 10 days to make huge improvements to give you the best year ever!!
You have successfully requested the free guide, "10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover"
“The key to my success was being willing to put it all on the line despite my fear.”
– Dr. Maiysha Clairborne
Please copy and share this link on social media: www.thescopeofpractice.com/podcast
Meet Dr. Maiysha Clairborne
As a female physician, I had spent most of my career putting work first. However, when I became pregnant with my son, one of the first things to come to mind was, “How will I balance my profession as a physician with my commitment as a mother?” That question informed the way I next moved in my career.
I designed my second career specifically so that I could be available for my son. With that in mind I started Stress free Mom MD in 2016, coaching physician moms to create balanced lives that they design. Not long after that I began helping burned out Dr. Mommies transition into better jobs and career paths giving them more time and freedom to be with their families.
It wasn’t long before I became known for what I do, and for having made a successful transition from clinical medicine and was asked to coach in the area of entrepreneurship. That is when I decided to create the Next Level Physician Entrepreneurs Institute. I wanted to show doctors that it was possible to leverage what they already know and create a profitable business that more than paid the bills while having freedom, fulfillment and a life they truly loved by their design.
Connect with Dr. Maiysha at www.drmaiysha.com
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
- 00:00 – Introduction to episode 31of The Scope of Practice Podcast.
- 01:45 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please leave a review!
- 02:25 – Subscribe to the blog and get access to free content. This week’s free guide: The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover.
- 03:34 – Introducing this week’s guest: Dr. Maiysha Clairborne.
- 04:32 – What got Dr. Maiysha Clairborne started on this journey of entrepreneurship?
- 06:23 – She had a serious issue with burnout and depression but eventually started to climb out, only to go right back into it a few years later.
- 08:12 – Dr. Maiysha Clairborne relates that she was scared to go into an entrepreneurship role, but she was so excited too.
- 09:53 – Many older physicians criticize younger generations as flaky, soft, or weak. Dr. Maiysha says there’s no merit to that.
- 12:46 – Burnout has always been a problem, but the landscape of medicine has changed in ways that make burnout a bigger problem for physicians than ever before. The workforce training doesn’t adequately prepare physicians for life after training.
- 15:11 – How do we set ourselves up for success and avoid burnout?
- 17:19 – Dr. Maiysha Clairborne shares why mentorship is so important in our careers.
- 18:39 – Dr. Maiysha shares some of the most common complaints she gets from physicians that she coaches.
- 20:29 – Financial security is an illusion!!
- 21:46 – We have to overcome our own doubts and fears if we’re going to go for our dreams.
- 24:33 – If you’re going to make a leap, do what you can to keep it from being a leap that’s too far away!
- 27:53 – Mentorship and mindset were the keys to Dr. Maiysha Clairborne being successful.
- 29:03 – What are the limiting beliefs that prevent people from becoming successful in their side hustle?
- 31:53 – Don’t think about selling. Think about serving, and the sales will happen.
- 33:42 – How do we pick the best side hustle or part-time project to suit our interests and talents?
- 38:04 – Don’t just launch your side hustle with no plan. What is the vision? Can it be monetized? Make a plan. Launch with purpose and a plan.
- 40:42 – What got you started won’t keep you going. Launch and get something gong, but be prepared to pivot and change things as you go along.
- 41:31 – You know it’s time to outsource and start delegating when you’ve got more things to do than you have time for. Dr. Maiysha Clairborne especially recommends hiring a web developer and a virtual assistant early on in your process.
- 45:15 – Parting advice from Dr. Maiysha Clairborne.
- 46:33 – Connect with Dr. Maiysha Clairborne.
- 48:35 – Summary of the episode.
- 49:37 – Subscribe to the blog and get access to free content. This week’s free guide: The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover.
- 50:05 – Email me if you need individualized help with business and personal finances and let’s set up a one-on-one coaching session. Click here to email me.
- 50:54 – signing off
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.