Podcast Episode 34 – “Why 50% of Female Physicians Have PTSD, and How to Fix That!” with Cecille Ahrens
Episode 34 – Did you know that up to 50% of female physicians report having PTSD from their jobs! We all know that burnout is common, but PTSD is upwards of half of all female physicians? That’s unacceptable. That’s insane. It’s no wonder that half of all physicians surveyed in 2018 reported plans to go part time or retire early in the next few years. Our guest this week is Cecille Ahrens. She’s a mental health professional and host of the Get Mental Podcast.
Cecille has over 20 years of applied experience. She specializes in PTSD & Trauma, Anxiety Disorders, Mood Disorders, Relationship Issues, Domestic Violence and Women’s Issues. In her practice, she sees a lot of high-octane professionals who experience burnout, depression, anxiety, and even PTSD through their interactions at their job.
Cecille is passionate about de-stigmatizing mental health and raising mental health awareness. This conversation is a really important one for anyone who is experiencing or has experienced symptoms of burnout at work. Up to 70% of physicians surveyed report experiencing symptoms of burnout, so I guarantee that this is relevant to you or to someone who is close to you. This is an important episode.
Please take 2 minutes to fill out the podcast survey and tell me how I can make the podcast even better for you!!
Click here for the survey link and you’ll be entered to win a $50 Amazon gift card
“We have an ethical responsibility to take care of ourselves so we can give our patients the best care.”
– Cecille Ahrens
Please copy and share this link on social media: www.thescopeofpractice.com/podcast
Free Resource: The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover
10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover
Your patients' clinic experience and your compensation depend heavily on your clinic's productivity and efficiency. Download this guide to learn the easy strategies that can transform your clinic into the productive, efficient, and enjoyable experience you and your patients deserve. It only takes 10 days to make huge improvements to give you the best year ever!!
You have successfully requested the free guide, "10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover"
Meet Cecille Ahrens
Cecille is the Owner and Clinical Director of Transcend Therapy, Inc., a private practice
providing individual, relationship and group counseling. A Bi-lingual, Bi-Cultural
Psychotherapist with over 20 years of applied experience, she specializes in PTSD &
Trauma, Anxiety Disorders, Mood Disorders, Relationship Issues, Domestic Violence and
Cecille is the Creator and Co-host of Get Mental Radio and Podcast, hosted on Facebook
LIVE with Co-Host and motivational speaker, Tee Smith.
Cecille is passionate about de-stigmatizing mental health and raising mental health
awareness. She loves to have fun while pursuing life goals. She enjoys music, food,
family time and nature.
Connect with Cecille:
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:21 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please leave a review!
- 02:18 – Fill out the 2020 Podcast Survey to help me know how to make this podcast even better.
- 04:07 – Introduction to Cecille Ahrens.
- 05:27 – There’s a huge need for mental health support.
- 05:59- Why is there still such a stigma against mental health challenges? Cecille Ahrens suggests that it has to do with the language that we use to describe the mental health disorders that we treat.
- 08:48 – It’s common for people to delay care because they’re ashamed, guilty, or afraid of getting help.
- 10:03 – Burnout and depression in the medical community isn’t a new phenomenon, but it’s starting to gain recognition and acknowledgement.
- 12:25 – Cecille Ahrens says there’s a time to “push through” and a time to seek help. The key is self-awareness.
- 15:03 – Physicians tend to take care of others and not take care of themselves. In particular, it’s very uncommon for physicians to seek professional mental health.
- 17:04 – Being required to disclose the fact that we seek mental health treatment on license renewal perpetuates the negative stereotypes of mental health.
- 19:14 – Toxic leadership and a toxic work environment is one of the top factors that lead to depression and anxiety in the workplace.
- 20:24 – What kind of side effects do these workplace stressors create for physicians? Cecille Ahrens shares her thoughts.
- 21:41 – Physicians can experience PTSD from a hostile work environment.
- 23:02 – Substance abuse is common in physicians who are experiencing a toxic work environment. Cecille Ahrens suggests that this can be improved with an improvement in leadership.
- 25:10 – You have more power and choice than you think.
- 26:18 – How do you help people set boundaries for themselves.
- 27:09 – As leaders in an organization, how can we support our team members if they confide in us about a mental health struggle? Cecille Ahrens shares her ideas.
- 29:16 – With all the emphasis on positive culture and strong leadership, why are so many companies missing the mark?
- 32:30 – What can we as leaders do to help foster a culture where people feel more supported and empowered?
- 34:57 – Our team focus and mutual support has got to be “baked into the culture.” Cecille Ahrens shares what to do if you talk to your leadership and they won’t help.
- 36:57 – Know your guidelines and workplace policies so you can leverage your contract to help you achieve what you know.
- 38:20 – The best thing you can do in order to destigmatize the mental health challenges this country is facing is to just talk about it! Over 50% of female physicians have at times felt like they met criteria for a diagnosable mental health disorder.
- 41:12 – Just because everyone before you suffered in silence and refused to seek treatment for mental health challenges doesn’t mean that it’s the best way to do things.
- 43:00 – The more preexisting mental health conditions that you have, the more you’re at risk for developing additional mental health conditions such as work-related PTSD.
- 46:48 – Cecille Ahrens shares her parting advice.
- 49:01 – Connect with Cecille Ahrens
- 51:30 – Summary of the episode
- 52:40 – signing off
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.