Podcast Episode 35 – How to Effectively Communicate with ALL of Your Patients – Dr. Brad Block
Episode 35 – It’s common for us to talk to our patients and yet not be able to communicate effectively. If we can’t talk to someone in a way that helps them actually understand what we’re trying to say, we’re not effectively communicating with them. Dr. Brad Block has some great insights into how to effectively communicate with our patients.
- How do you know when it’s ok to tell a joke?
- What kind of non-verbal cues are you using to make your point?
- Is eye contact important?
- Maybe interrupting the patient isn’t always a bad thing?
As physicians, it’s incumbent on us to explain things to patients in ways that they understand. That involves understanding how their culture, background, socioeconomic status, marital status, sexual orientation, and ethnicity inform their worldview. It’s not as simple as just telling people what they need to know. In this podcast episode, you’ll learn some key tips to help you communicate with your patients more effectively so you can be in a better position to help them with their health care needs. If you want to really help your patients heal, your communication matters, and this episode will help you level up your communication game.
Please take 2 minutes to fill out the podcast survey and tell me how I can make the podcast even better for you!!
Click here for the survey link and you’ll be entered to win a $50 Amazon gift card
“If you’re not an effective communicator, your patients may not trust you, and they won’t take your medical advice. So, if you don’t communicate well, you may actually be hurting your patients.”
– Dr. Brad Block
Free Resource: Creating a Personal Mission Statement
Meet Dr. Brad Block
Join the Business and Personal Finance for Physicians and Dentists Facebook Group!
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
Check out the Doctor Podcast Network!
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
One-on-one personal finance and business coaching
If you need a little more individualized help figuring out:
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
Click here and email me to set up a free consultation today!
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:29 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please leave a review!
- 01:38 – Email me if you’re interested in getting one-on-one finance or career coaching.
- 02:38 – Introduction to Brad Block.
- 03:33 – Welcome to Dr. Brad Block and The Physician’s Guide to Doctoring Podcast
- 06:20 – Some physicians communicate incredibly well with their patients, and some physicians don’t communicate so well. It’s important to have some humility to be willing to admit that maybe you aren’t the effective communicator you think you are.
- 08:59 – Why is it so important that you be an effective communicator
- 10:36 – Being an effective communicator limits the likelihood that you’ll be sued.
- 11:54 – If you can communicate effectively, you will have patients who are brand ambassadors for you. That will help you grow your practice.
- 13:12 – How does Dr. Brad Block recommend establishing a level of formality with the patient? Whether you’re informal or formal, keep it equal!
- 16:16 – Sometimes, a patient may not know exactly why they’re there! Make sure that you help set the stage so that everyone knows why they are in the appointment room.
- 18:28 – What is the “question behind the question?” When they ask a question, what information are they actually looking for?
- 20:59 – If you can figure out the question behind the question, it builds tremendous trust with the patient.
- 21:38 – What about typing or writing notes while you’re talking to them?
- 25:27 – It’s our job as physicians to make sure patients understand everything that we’re coaching them on.
- 28:02 – Cultural barriers to communication can be significant! Pay attention to differences in culture that can affect communication. Cultural humility is very important!
- 31:18 – Dr. Brad Block and I swap stories about miscommunication. Sometimes it’s helpful to just be able to laugh.
- 35:49 – How does Dr. Brad Block approach a situation when someone has a family member that doesn’t let the patient do the talking?
- 38:36 – What are some nonverbal communication techniques that we can employ to enhance our communication with our patients?
- 42:15 – Being able to effectively and appropriately crack a joke can be a bit tricky. Dr. Brad Block recommends a couple of helpful hints to help us navigate that situation.
- 45:41 – Dr. Brad Block shares his parting advice.
- 47:37 – Summary of the episode
- 48:54 – This week’s free resource is a guide called “Creating a Personal Mission Statement.”
Listen to the next episode
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.
career, communicate, communication, culture, dentist, physician, practice management