Podcast Episode 36 – Physician, Know Thyself!! Find Your “Authentic Self” and Have the Career You Deserve – Dr. Francis Yoo
Episode 36 – Do you ever feel like your career isn’t quite what you thought it would be? Like you’re living someone else’s dream or trying to fit into a mold that doesn’t quite work for you? My guest today is Dr. Francis Yoo, and he suggests that most physicians are failing to live what he calls their “authentic self.”
When we’re in medical school and post-graduate training, we work hard to become excellent at the craft of medicine, but are we abandoning our own dreams in favor of a prescribed concept of what “a doctor is supposed to be”? Dr. Yoo certainly thinks so.
If you want your career to be what you’ve always dreamed, it’s time to look inward and figure out what your “authentic self” really looks like! Listen to this episode and discover the freedom that comes for working towards your own goals, just because it’s who you know you’re meant to be.
Please take 2 minutes to fill out the podcast survey and tell me how I can make the podcast even better for you!!
Click here for the survey link and you’ll be entered to win a $50 Amazon gift card
Free Resource: Creating a Personal Mission Statement
Creating A Personal Mission Statement
Any good business or nonprofit organization will have a mission statement and/or core values. Download our free guide to get started today.
You have successfully requested the free guide, "Creating a Personal Mission Statement"
Meet Dr. Francis Yoo
Connect with Dr. Francis Yoo
Website: www.drfrancisyoo.com (being worked on right now)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (my “public” email)
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
FREE disability insurance quotes from Pattern: www.thescopeofpractice.com/pattern
Pattern Financial has an amazing platform for helping doctors easily navigate the world of disability insurance. They can find you true “own-occupation” disability insurance in minutes, and it’s completely free to get the quotes!
Unlike other companies, they are a true independent insurance broker, and one of very few that I trust to take care of physicians when they need it most.
Use this link to get the disability insurance quotes for free! Even if you’re not ready to buy disability insurance today, you can still get the free quotes so you’ll know how much to budget for it.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:23 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please leave a review! Also, please fill out the 2020 Podcast Survey to tell me how I can make the podcast even better!
- 02:26 – Email me if you’re interested in getting one-on-one finance or career coaching.
- 03:24 – Introduction to Francis Yoo.
- 04:30 – What does it mean to find your “authentic self”?
- 05:20 – Most physicians aren’t living their “authentic self” life. You’re living the life that you were trained to live when you went through school.
- 07:13 – Every year you spend in formal education is another year of being trained to fit into a mold.
- 08:14 – Dr. Francis Yoo says that failing to live our authentic self is one of the contributing factors to the epidemic of physician burnout.
- 09:30 – When you finally confront the reality of the fact that you haven’t lived up to your authentic self, it can be very uncomfortable. You have to embrace the discomfort, or you won’t be able to change and move forward!
- 11:07 – How do you strike a balance between the authentic self and the rebel?
- 13:27 – Why are we the biggest obstacle to reaching our goal of becoming our authentic self? Dr. Francis Yoo has some thoughts.
- 20:29 – The knowledge you need for personal development isn’t external. It’s internal!
- 22:10 – Dr. Francis Yoo introduces the concept of “self-knowledge.” The best way to gain self-knowledge is to observe yourself. That’s hard! Looking in the mirror can be very unsettling!
- 24:13 – How do we break out of the natural tendency to stay in our “egoic rut?” Dr. Francis Yoo says the key is self-observation.
- 26:41 – How do you facilitate observation of your personality blind spots?
- 28:11 – Dr. Francis Yoo breaks down the difference between mission, vision, and purpose and how we find each one.
- 33:05 – One way to recenter yourself on your mission, vision, and purpose is to constantly remind yourself of them.
- 33:39 – You should check out some of the personality tests that are available for helping you learn what your personality tests are.
- 37:23 – Introduction to the enneagram with Dr. Francis Yoo.
- 38:39 – Dr. Lacey talks about taking the enneagram assessment and how it has been valuable in his own practice.
- 40:01 – Dr. Francis Yoo talks about how to use the enneagram in your own life and using it to find your authentic self. Knowing your enneagram type gives you a framework for understanding your behavior, motivations, and reactions to your world.
- 42:15 – Dr. Francis Yoo shares his parting advice.
- 44:58 – Connect to Dr. Francis Yoo.
- 46:35 – Summary of the episode
- 47:40 – Take the “Fascination Advantage” Assessment!
- 48:57 – This week’s free resource is a guide called “Creating a Personal Mission Statement.”
- 50:00 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.