Podcast Episode 45 – How to Balance a Career and Family as a Physician Mom – Dr. Hala Sabry
Episode 45 – We’ve talked a lot this month about business and leadership, and today I want to delve into how we balance that drive and ambition with family pursuits. We all want to be devoted spouses and parents, but our careers demand a lot of time and energy. So, how do we strike a balance between those two? Dr. Hala Sabry has extensive experience in that as a physician mom of 5 kids and a serial entrepreneur. I think you’ll really relate to her struggles and hopefully you’ll get some ideas for how to maintain that sense of balance in your own life. Enjoy part 3 of my four part series with her.
Free Resource: 5 Financial Decisions All Couples Should Make Together
5 Financial Decisions Couples Should Make Together
Money fights are the biggest factor that lead to relationship struggles, marriage fights, and divorce. But, these conversations don't have to be hard! Download this free guide to see how to make difficult financial conversations easier so you can have a strong relationship where you achieve your goals TOGETHER!
You have successfully requested the free guide, "5 Financial Decisions Couples Should Make Together"
Check out the additional free resources available at The Scope of Practice!
- Business management resources
- Personal finance resources
- Podcasting resources
- Recommended online courses
- Recommended books
Meet Dr. Hala Sabry
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:16 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please leave a review!
- 01:29 – Email me at email@example.com if you’re interested in getting one-on-one finance or career coaching.
- 03:02 – Introduction to Dr. Hala Sabry, founder of Physician Mom Group.
- 03:52 – Introducing Dr. Hala Sabry for part 3 of the 4-part series with her. Today’s topic: balancing career and family.
- 05:11 – Dr. Sabry and her husband had challenges with infertility early in their marriage.
- 05:44 – Is our society doing enough to help a physician mom balance career and family planning? Dr. Hala Sabry has her doubts.
- 08:18 – Having a community of support around her helped Dr. Sabry work through the infertility challenges, but it definitely wasn’t easy.
- 09:31 – It’s normal to feel like your life is completely out of balance when you’re working hard on maximizing your career and your family.
- 10:48 – Dr. Hala Sabry shares what balance means to her as a physician mom. Basically, there’s no such thing as “balance.” Balance is more about finding the right range, rather than finding the right level or the right number.
- 11:44 – How are you reaching “homeostasis”?
- 16:00 – You need to know where you’re going if you’re going to find balance. Dr. Hala Sabry says to define your priorities before you try to find balance.
- 17:26 – What are your top 3 values? Define those values before you try to balance them. And, recognize that wherever you spend your money and your time, that’s where your values lie.
- 18:04 – Declare your values and schedule your priorities. Don’t just wait for things to happen to you.
- 18:34 – Keep your appointments with yourself. Don’t flake on yourself.
- 20:14 – Stand up for yourself! Have the courage to fight for what you want! Dr. Sabry shares a story of how she did that.
- 21:41 – Setting and maintaining expectations are critical to your success. Take a lesson from the experience that Dr. Hala Sabry shares.
- 24:16 – The more often we knuckle under and refuse to stand up for ourselves leads to a bad life for ourselves. How did Dr. Hala Sabry get the drive and determination to fight?
- 27:55 – How do you know when it’s time to voluntarily sacrifice something in order to achieve a larger goal? First, you have to know that you have a larger goal and know what it is.
- 31:09 – It’s important to Dr. Hala Sabry as a physician mom that we model good behaviors to our kids.
- 34:40 – Connect to Dr. Hala Sabry.
- 35:28 – Summary of the episode with Dr. Hala Sabry.
- 38:41 – Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the code you heard in the episode to be entered to win one of 5 free personal finance coaching sessions.
- 37:08 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.