Podcast Episode 54 – Critical Qualities of Successful Leaders – Scott McCarthy (Moving Forward Leadership)
Episode 54 – My guest on the podcast today is Scott McCarthy. He’s a Canadian Army Officer and the Founder of Moving Forward Leadership. As a logistics officer, he knows how to take a large group of people and leave them to accomplish a highly complex mission. I think you’re going to get a lot out of our conversation today. We’re talking about critical qualities and actions that successful leaders can take. He’s incredibly good at taking leadership concepts from the military and translating them to the civilian world, including healthcare. You’re not going to want to miss this.
Free Resource: The Scope of Practice Reading List
I’m excited to tell you about this week’s free resource, which is a pdf download called “The Scope of Practice Reading List”. This list is the top 35 books that I recommend for physicians who want to have a more successful career and stronger personal finances. If you can read just one book from each of the seven recommended categories, you’ll be in the top 5% of physicians in terms of knowledge about this stuff. Just click on the link to download the guide for free.
Check out the additional free resources available at The Scope of Practice!
- Business management resources
- Personal finance resources
- Podcasting resources
- Recommended online courses
- Recommended books
Meet Scott McCarthy, founder of Moving Forward Leadership!
Scott McCarthy’s leadership journey started when he was young and had the drive to take control of everything that needed to be planned. Transferring these skills to the Canadian Army, Scott enrolled as a logistics officer in 2001 when he was selected to attend the prestigious Royal Military College of Canada.
At the age of 24, Scott commanded an Army transport platoon comprising over 80 soldiers. At 33, he was selected to command a Logistics Squadron of 200 members. However, his experience goes beyond commanding. In 2009, Scott deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan where he was selected to help train, mentor, and coach members of the Afghan National Army.
Scott believes that everyone needs leadership skills. As a leader, he believes that delegation is a force multiplier, that teamwork is the centerpiece of all organizations, and that leaders have an obligation to leave a legacy which outlasts them.
Connect to Scott McCarthy and Moving Forward Leadership
- Check out the Moving Forward Leadership podcast
- Website: www.drniidarko.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.movingforwardleadership.com
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:21 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please share it with someone!
- 01:40 – This week’s sponsor is Contract Diagnostics.
- 02:47 – Introduction to Scott McCarthy.
- 03:25 – Let’s meet Scott McCarthy, founder of Moving Forward Leadership!
- 04:03 – Scott McCarthy is a Canadian Army officer. Being in the military is one of the big things that got him interested in leadership. That eventually led him to found Moving Forward Leadership.
- 07:13 – Dr. Lacey and Scott McCarthy share some leadership experiences.
- 08:57 – Moving Forward Leadership recommends that we “lead” not “boss.”
- 12:08 – Are leaders made, or are leaders born? According to Scott McCarthy, leadership can be learned!
- 15:58 – What are some books that Scott McCarthy would recommend for would-be leaders?
- 20:34 – One of the best ways to show you are ready for leadership is to look for ways to “lighten your boss’s load.” That’s Moving Forward Leadership!
- 21:13 – Don’t be the smartest person in the room, says Scott McCarthy. Be the person who multiplies the genius of others.
- 23:43 – Have the humility to recognize where others are stronger than you and learn from them!
- 25:58 – What are the critical qualities of a leader?
- 29:47 – Constant learning is critical to your success as a leader. You can be better than everyone by just outworking everyone else. That constant learning is a key part of Moving Forward Leadership.
- 32:39 – How do we recognize “toxic leadership” and what do we do about it?
- 36:18 – We need to recognize our own blindspots, and it’s important for people to feel comfortable telling us about those issues.
- 37:58 – What if you have a “toxic subordinate”?
- 39:13 – Scott shares his two big rules of leadership.
- 41:59 – Face time buys you credibility.
- 42:53 – How does influence translate to leadership? That’s another key feature of Moving Forward Leadership, says Scott McCarthy.
- 45:39 – Connect to Scott McCarthy and listen to the Moving Forward Leadership podcast.
- 47:48 – Summary of the episode
- 48:46- This week’s free resource is a guide called “The Scope of Practice Reading List.”
- 49:54 – Signing off!
Listen to the next episode
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.