Podcast Episode 56 – How to Build a Stress Free and Profitable Clinical Practice – Steve Anderson
Episode 56 – My guest on the podcast today is Steve Anderson. Steve is a general contractor who specializes in medical and dental offices. He has literally written the book on how to build the perfect clinical office to serve your patient’s needs. He has built over 2000 offices for dentists doctors, fertility centers, ambulatory surgical centers, and more. I was tremendously impressed with his approach to building medical spaces.
If you’re thinking about building or renovating your office, clinic space, or surgery center, you need to bookmark this episode so you can keep coming back to it as needed. I learned a ton from this conversation, and I really think it’s going to help you as well. If you’re in medical school or residency, pay attention to Steve’s tips. If you can learn this stuff now, you’ll be ready to build or renovate your own building a lot earlier in your career than your colleagues.
Free Resource: The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover
If you’re looking around and thinking, “My clinic could use some updates,” then I’ve got a great free resource that’ll help you. It’s a free pdf download called, “The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover.” It’s a 10 day challenge to help you make small changes in your clinic’s operation that will have big impact on your business.
Each day, you’ll have one small thing to address in your clinic, and at the end of 10 days, you’ll be amazed how big a transformation can be had with making a few small changes. It’s a free guide, and you can get that by clicking here.
Check out the additional free resources available at The Scope of Practice!
- Business management resources
- Personal finance resources
- Podcasting resources
- Recommended online courses
- Recommended books
Meet Steve Anderson, author of DentalEase!
In everything he does, Steve Anderson finds no greater joy than to impact others and leave a lasting and positive legacy of improvement.
DentalEase encapsulates Steve’s 30 years of experience working with over 1,000 dentists creating dream dental offices.
Steve’s essential guide provides dentists with the steps to renovate, construct, and successfully run the dental practice of their dreams, saving at least $10,000 while building a stress-free and profitable dental practice.
DentalEase helps dentists answer questions that they never knew to ask before. Dentists call the book “An incredible encyclopedia on how to attain success as a dentist.”
Connect to Steve Anderson
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:20 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please share it with someone!
- 01:40 – Thanks for listening! Please leave a review!
- 02:46 – This week’s sponsor is Physician Financial Services.
- 02:37 – Introduction to Steve Anderson.
- 04:32 – Let’s meet Steve Anderson, author of Dental Ease!
- 06:04 – What got Steve to write the book, Dental Ease?
- 07:49 – Having a general contractor who specializes in building medical buildings can be tremendously helpful if you’re trying to construct your own building.
- 09:34 – What are the common mistakes that people make when building their clinical buildings and office buildings?
- 11:54 – Form follows function. Building a building needs to work for whatever functions you want to be able to perform in the building.
- 13:47 – Don’t build a whole building before you’ve rented some space for a couple of years. Figure out what you like and don’t like before sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into building something that doesn’t work for you.
- 16:20 – A resident or medical student could pay close attention to the different places that they rotate and determine what aspects of the clinics and offices they like and don’t like.
- 17:45 – How do you determine what type of practice to join (existing vs build your own vs buy a practice from someone who is retiring)?
- 21:34 – If we’re building a building from scratch, who is the “dream team”? Who do I need to hire?
- 25:34 – How much can we expect to spend in terms of time and money?
- 30:13 – It’s hard to stay within budget, so you should plan for that.
- 32:08 – It’s time to finish the building. Where do we get furniture, equipment, and supplies?
- 35:59 – Make decisions on furniture and equipment before you even break ground on the building.
- 36:44 – Are there any tips or tricks we can use to build the building without going into huge amounts of debt?
- 41:45 – What are the F.I.S.T.S. of success?
- 43:24 – What are the things that cause the most long-term headaches for physicians and dentists?
- 46:52 – What’s the number one question that a physician or dentist ask that they don’t think to ask when they’re building a building?
- 48:40 – Connect to Steve Anderson and buy the book!
- 50:34 – Summary of the episode
- 51:20 – Buy a copy of Dental Ease!
- 51:50 – This week’s free resource is a guide called “The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover.”
- 53:00 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.