Podcast Episode 59 – Maximizing Clinical Efficiency is Easier than You Think – April Rhoads
Episode 59 – My guest on the podcast today is April Rhoads. April is a clinical efficiency expert and now the founder of a new non-profit organization called Stop the Burnout. I’m excited for her to come on the show to talk about how to maximize clinical efficiency.
It’s funny, I thought this episode was going to be be like in the movie Office Space when the two consultants come in and everyone’s basically interviewing for their jobs, but we went in several different directions than I thought. My hands were cramping from all the notes I was writing on the great stuff we talked about. This was a truly fantastic conversation. You’ll probably want to bookmark this episode and come back to it later. I guarantee that you’ll find things to make your business run better and more efficiently if you listen to this episode.
Free Resource: The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover
If you’re looking for more concrete ways to make your clinic more efficient, then I’ve got a great free resource that’ll help you. It’s a free pdf download called, “The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover.” It’s a 10 day challenge to help you make small changes in your clinic’s operation that will have big impact on your business.
Each day, you’ll have one small thing to address in your clinic, and at the end of 10 days, you’ll be amazed how big a transformation can be had with making a few small changes. It’s a free guide, and you can get that by clicking here.
Check out the additional free resources available at The Scope of Practice!
- Business management resources
- Personal finance resources
- Podcasting resources
- Recommended online courses
- Recommended books
Meet April Rhoads
The soft skills of running your own practice that no one ever taught you (and they are free!). Be Authentic. Delegate. Simplify.
Connect to April by clicking here.
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:32 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please share it with someone!
- 01:50 – If you want to contribute a guest article to the website, email me at email@example.com.
- 02:38 – This week’s sponsor is Panacea Financial.
- 03:25 – Introduction to April Rhoads.
- 04:16 – Let’s meet April Rhoads, founder of Stop the Burnout.
- 05:42 – What is the correlation between clinical efficiency and burnout?
- 06:17 – What are the common mistakes that physician offices make?
- 07:03 – The most important thing is to BE AUTHENTIC!
- 09:03 – Being authentic really makes a difference on your efficiency, but it also can prevent burnout.
- 10:43 – Why is it so important to get our staff involved in making the clinic as efficient as possible? April Rhoads has the answer.
- 13:18 – The front desk staff are some of the most influential members of your team.
- 17:33 – April Rhoads says that something as simple as deliberately smiling when you pick up the phone can make a big difference in terms of what your experience will be with your front desk team
- 18:23 – 80% of your leads will get lost at the first touchpoint on your business.
- 19:03 – Your front desk team needs to know some basics, like what you offer, how to engage with your business, and how to locate your facility.
- 20:03 – One great thing that April Rhoads suggests is to take notes of personal details regarding your patients and use those to make each interaction more personable.
- 23:05 – Customer experience and business efficiency are closely linked. April Rhoads says we have to pay attention to how we’re providing great service to our patients so they keep coming back.
- 25:31 – The EMR is one of the most frustrating aspects of clinical medicine. April Rhoads says we have to learn how to make it work for us instead of working against us.
- 30:53 – Optimizing the EMR can lead to a lot of stress. We need to get things optimized, but we have to be mindful of how that lays stress on our staff. Get good templates that will help you save your time.
- 33:38 – How do we find the time to train our staff in order to increase our overall efficiency?
- 35:41 – If you’re going to make major changes to the way you conduct business, ask your staff their opinion of how those changes would affect them.
- 39:33 – Using your medical device reps and pharmaceutical reps can actually be incredibly valuable.
- 42:18 – How does having a positive team culture increase clinical efficiency? April Rhoads has the answer.
- 44:13 – Physicians as leaders need to be about the business of multiplying the genius of their staff members. If you’re the only one who can come up with ideas, you’ll be limited in your growth.
- 47:33 – Connect to April Rhoads.
- 48:27 – Summary of the episode
- 49:27 – This week’s free resource is a guide called “The 10 Day Simple Clinic Makeover.”
- 50:33 – Signing off!
Listen to the Next Episode
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.