Podcast Episode 62 – How to Create a Sensational Customer Experience – Stacy Sherman (Doing CX Right)
Episode 62 – My guest on the podcast today is Stacy Sherman. Stacy is an expert in the “customer experience.” One of the first things we actually talk about in the conversation is the difference between customer service and the customer experience. The customer experience is a more all-encompassing idea that includes every touchpoint for the patient or customer from hearing about your practice or your business until they receive the service you provide, pay for it, and beyond.
As business owners and business leaders, we have to be aware that in a free market system, people have choices, and they will exercise those choices by going wherever they want to get the goods or services you desire. You can beat your competition simply by offering a better experience, and as Stacy will tell you, it’s not nearly as complicated or difficult as it might sound.
Register for Residency-Proof Your Marriage!
I’m excited to tell you about a new online course I’m launching called “Residency-Proof Your Marriage.” I’ve seen way too many couples get divorced or see their relationships go sour during their medical career. Medical training is an inherently divisive time, so you have to work to combat that!
This online video course will coach you through setting expectations, communicating effectively, getting on the same page with finances, and keeping your relationship thriving during a difficult time. Whether you’re in medical school, residency, or out in clinical practice, Residency-Proof Your Marriage is going to help you build a thriving medical marriage.
I’m looking for 15 couples to sign up for the beta version of the course. You’ll get full access to the course at the lowest price it’ll ever be offered. We’ll also ask you for feedback periodically throughout the course to help us make the course even better.
The price is $69 for students and trainees, and only $99 for practicing physicians. This is a very inexpensive investment in your marriage. A weekend marriage retreat will cost upwards of $1000 between food, registration, lodging, and vacation time.
Registration closes on June 14th, so sign up today!
For this course, you’ll get all the great content in the course for a fraction of the price and you complete it on your own time as your schedule allows. Click the link in the podcast description or go to www.thescopeofpractice.com/marriagecourse to sign up today. We’re limiting the signups initially to 15 couples, so sign up today. Again, just click the link in the podcast description or go to www.thescopeofpractice.com/marriagecourse to sign up today.
Free Resource: 32 Easy Ways to Celebrate Your Team Members
To help you improve your employee experience, as well as your customer experience, I have a great free resource for you this week. It’s a free pdf download called “32 Easy Ways to Celebrate Your Team Members.” This free resource offers a lot of ideas for finding fun and creative ways to recognize your team members for the work they do. There are a lot of free or very inexpensive ideas in here. Take a moment each week to recognize your team members for doing a great job or for upholding your company’s values in a meaningful way, or for finding ways to improve the customer experience.
Just click here to download your free copy today.
Check out the additional free resources available at The Scope of Practice!
- Business management resources
- Personal finance resources
- Podcasting resources
- Recommended online courses
- Recommended books
Meet Stacy Sherman, founder of Doing CX Right
In a world in which impersonal customer interactions are the norm, Stacy Sherman is an empathetic customer experience (CX) pioneer who has devoted her career to leading with a heart and creating lasting customer loyalty through engaged employees. Recognizing the humanity in others is critical to any business’s success. Whether a company is marketing to other businesses or consumers, its ultimate audience is an individual. There is a person at the other end of every campaign and communication; for businesses that desire to be competitive and acquire customers, making a human connection is critical.
Stacy’s mission is to help brands delight customers, meet their needs, and create superior experiences that build not just relationships but lasting, meaningful connections with people. Through her company, Doing CX Right, Stacy advocates for the humanization of business and delivers a framework rooted in the customer. Stacy’s approach aligns cross-functional teams from critical parts of the organization—sales, marketing, product, and leadership to allow stakeholders to deliver a customized customer experience that goes far beyond price of services or goods.
Connect with Stacy Sherman and Doing CX Right
- LinkedIn: click here
- Facebook: click here
- Instagram: click here
- Sign up to receive Stacy’s newsletter: click here
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:40 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please share it with someone!
- 01:57 – Sign up for the beta launch of Residency-Proof Your Marriage!
- 04:08 – This week’s sponsor is Advice Media.
- 05:03 – Introduction to Stacy Sherman.
- 06:00 – Introduction to Stacy Sherman, founder of Doing CX Right.
- 06:49 – What’s the difference between customer service and the customer experience?
- 08:44 – The customer experience may involved 7-10 touchpoints, says Stacy Sherman. If any one of those touchpoints isn’t satisfactory, it can sour the entire experience. That’s what Stacy likes to teach in Doing CX Right.
- 10:00 – An excellent customer experience drives consumer choices as much as price does, or even more!
- 12:25 – Stacy Sherman agrees that price isn’t what drives consumer choices. The corpus of interactions with an event, good, or service is going to drive choices.
- 13:55 – 70% of customers assert that they will switch to an alternate business if they don’t have a great customer experience. A lot of times (maybe most of the time), they won’t even tell you about it.
- 15:21 – If you’re not hearing people tell you that they’re switching from another business, then customers may be switching from you to someone else! That’s why doing CX right is so important!
- 16:57 – The doctor isn’t the only touchpoint in the patient experience! Stacy Sherman says make sure that every point along the customer journey provides a great customer experience. Everyone has to own the customer experience.
- 19:13 – How do we as leaders invigorate enthusiasm for the customer experience in with our employees? Stacy Sherman says we need to have everyone participate in the customer journey map.
- 20:38 – What is the customer journey map? Stacy Sherman describes this tool as an integral part of Doing CX Right. It’s important to helping you be able to walk in the patient’s shoes.
- 23:24 – How do we create the journey map, practically speaking?
- 26:43 – How do we determine if we’re meeting our customers’ desires? Stacy Sherman says, talk to the customers!! That’s doing CX right!
- 29:23 – Use a third party to collect customer feedback so it’s totally objective.
- 30:18 – How often should we be modifying and updating our journey map to continue to maximize the customer experience? Stacy Sherman says at least once a year.
- 32:03 – Are there any specific metrics to track on a regular basis to know if we’re hitting the mark?
- 33:31 – Is the customer always right? Or, are there times when we should substitute our judgement for their’s?
- 34:55 – It’s ok to put some healthy reasonable boundaries in your business and limit the extent of the customer experience. But, even if you don’t provide them everything they want, they need to feel like they got everything they wanted. That’s doing CX right!
- 36:24 – How do we cultivate a reputation as a company that provides an excellent customer experience? What would Stacy Sherman recommend?
- 37:56 – What if we already have a community reputation for a poor or average customer experience? How do we rehab that?
- 39:35 – Doing CX right involves creating “WOW moments” that will build brand loyalty. Stacy Sherman says we need to be deliberate about cultivating those moments for a great customer experience.
- 41:21 – Great medical care is the minimum expectation. How do we create those “WOW moments”? Stacy Sherman says it’s a lot easier than we might think!
- 41:52 – It doesn’t have to be over-the-top to give someone a WOW moment. It might be as simple as saying hi and greeting people warmly.
- 45:23 – Positive and thriving interpersonal dynamics are an integral part of an outstanding customer experience.
- 47:29 – Connect to Stacy Sherman and the content at Doing CX Right.
- 49:02 – Summary of the episode
- 49:33 – This week’s free resource is a guide called “5 Critical Tools For Physician Leaders.”
- 50:30 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.