Podcast Episode 63 – Burntout to Bad**s: How I Quit Full-Time Medicine to Start a Six-Figure Coaching Practice – Dr. Errin Weisman
Episode 63 – My guest on the podcast today is Dr. Errin Weisman. Dr. Weisman faced serious burnout after a very short time in her clinical career, but she pulled herself up and started a coaching business on the side. That business has become her primary business, making six figures a year, and yet she still practices part-time medicine! She’s a full-time wife and mom, living on a farm in rural Indiana, and she has proven herself to be a major thought leader in the physician self-development space. There’s a lot to learn from her about entrepreneurship, leadership, business savvy, and learning from your mistakes. Whether you’re looking for tips to grow your leadership skills, how to step away from full-time medicine, work-life balance, entrepreneurship, we cover it all in this interview. There’s definitely something here for everyone.
Register for Residency-Proof Your Marriage!
I’m excited to tell you about a new online course I’m launching called “Residency-Proof Your Marriage.” I’ve seen way too many couples get divorced or see their relationships go sour during their medical career. Medical training is an inherently divisive time, so you have to work to combat that!
This online video course will coach you through setting expectations, communicating effectively, getting on the same page with finances, and keeping your relationship thriving during a difficult time. Whether you’re in medical school, residency, or out in clinical practice, Residency-Proof Your Marriage is going to help you build a thriving medical marriage.
I’m looking for 15 couples to sign up for the beta version of the course. You’ll get full access to the course at the lowest price it’ll ever be offered. We’ll also ask you for feedback periodically throughout the course to help us make the course even better.
The price is $69 for students and trainees, and only $99 for practicing physicians. This is a very inexpensive investment in your marriage. A weekend marriage retreat will cost upwards of $1000 between food, registration, lodging, and vacation time.
Registration closes on June 20th, so sign up today!
For this course, you’ll get all the great content in the course for a fraction of the price and you complete it on your own time as your schedule allows. Go to www.thescopeofpractice.com/marriagecourse to sign up today. We’re limiting the signups initially to 15 couples, so sign up today. Again, just go to www.thescopeofpractice.com/marriagecourse to sign up today.
Free Resource: 5 Financial Decisions Couples Should Make Together
This week’s free resource is a great guide that will help you start having some money conversations with your spouse. It’s a free pdf download called, “5 Financial Decisions Couples Should Make Together.” These conversations are the biggest potential areas of contention about finances that people relationships typically have. It’s a great way to get the conversation going and just get the lines of communication open again. This guide will help you have those conversations in a way that yields fruitful discussions without fighting.
Just click here to download your free copy today.
Check out the additional free resources available at The Scope of Practice!
- Business management resources
- Personal finance resources
- Podcasting resources
- Recommended online courses
- Recommended books
Meet Dr. Errin Weisman!
Errin Weisman, DO openly speaks on her experience of professional burnout early in her family medicine career so that no woman feels alone and to prove you can have a joy-filled and sustainable career.She lives and practices life coaching and medicine in rural Southwestern Indiana, loves her roles as farmer’s wife, athlete and mother of three.
Besides being sassy, she enjoys getting mud on her shoes, teaching her children to catch tadpoles and reading a great fantasy novel.
Connect with Dr. Errin Weisman
- Burntout to Badass Podcast: https://www.burntouttobadass.com/podcast
- Doctor Me First Podcast: https://www.doctormefirst.com/listen
- Email Anna to join Badass Collective Slack Group: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Burntout to Badass Website: https://www.burntouttobadass.com/
- Doctor Me First Website: https://www.doctormefirst.com/
- Instagram – @burnout_to_badass: https://www.instagram.com/burntout_to_badass/
- Facebook – @errinweisman: https://www.facebook.com/errinweisman
- LinkedIn – Errin Weisman DO: https://www.linkedin.com/in/errin-weisman-do-77a890103/
- Twitter – @errinweisman: https://twitter.com/home
Join the Business and Personal Finance for Physicians and Dentists Facebook Group!
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
Check out the Doctor Podcast Network!
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
One-on-one personal finance and business coaching
If you need a little more individualized help figuring out:
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
Click here and email me to set up a free consultation today!
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:24 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please share it with someone!
- 01:41 – Sign up for the beta launch of Residency-Proof Your Marriage!
- 03:48 – This week’s sponsor is MR Insurance.
- 04:25 – Introduction to Dr. Errin Weisman.
- 05:26 – Let’s meet Dr. Errin Weisman!
- 07:06 – Dr. Errin Weisman shares her story.
- 13:26 – Why did Dr. Errin Weisman elect to keep doing medicine part-time?
- 16:40 – Dr. Weisman tells us all about her journey from full-time medicine to part-time medicine and full-time coaching.
- 18:45 – How did Dr. Errin Weisman overcome the fear of the unknown and start her business? It starts with fact-finding. Look for opportunities to capitalize on.
- 22:02 – What did Dr. Weisman do in order to finance her new entrepreneurial journey?
- 27:46 – When did she realize it was time to start outsourcing
- 30:37 – How did she make the transition from solopreneur to CEO?
- 35:05 – How do you start to cast vision for your business?
- 38:04 – How do you lead a team that is entirely virtual?
- 44:53 – Setting healthy boundaries between work, home, and your side hustle.
- 48:28 – Connect with Dr. Errin Weisman.
- 50:02 – Summary of the episode
- 50:56 – This week’s free resource is a guide called “5 Financial Decisions Couples Should Make Together.”
- 51:43 – Signing off!
Listen to the next episode
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.