Podcast Episode 64 – How to Make Telemedicine Work for You and Your Patients! – Dr. Marla Ranieri
Episode 64 – My guest on the podcast today is Dr. Marla Ranieri. She’s a physical therapist and former competitive gymnast who started a telemedicine company a few years ago, and it just expoded during the pandemic. While the rest of us were scrambling to figure out how to do telemedicine and integrate it into our practice, she was already working on perfecting the system to make it safe, efficient, and a comfortable experience for providers and patients. Telemedicine probably won’t be 100% of your clinical practice, but I really think telemedicine is here to stay. You need to know how to incorporate it into your practice. There are real advantages to you, but the truth is that consumer demands are going to increase the use of telemedicine in the years to come. It’s an evolving technology, and I’m glad we have an expert here to tell us about it.
Special offer from Gentem.com, just for my podcast listeners!
Click here to watch my recent webinar called, “Smart Strategies for Building a Successful Clinical Practice,” for free!
Gentem is giving away a free benchmark assessment for anyone listening to this podcast. That’s a minimum $5,000 value, and it could be worth 20 times that in reclaimed revenue!
Click here to claim your free benchmark assessment and see where your company is losing revenue. And, as an added bonus, if you become a Gentem customer by June 30th, you’ll get your first month totally free! This is an amazing offer, frankly, and I highly encourage you to take advantage of it.
Even if you don’t end up using Gentem for revenue cycle management, the benchmark assessment that they’re giving away free is worth thousands of dollars, so don’t miss out.
Click here to claim your free benchmark assessment and see where your company is losing revenue.
Get on the waitlist for Residency-Proof Your Marriage!
I’m excited to tell you about a new online course I’m launching called “Residency-Proof Your Marriage.” I’ve seen way too many couples get divorced or see their relationships go sour during their medical career. Medical training is an inherently divisive time, so you have to work to combat that!
This online video course will coach you through setting expectations, communicating effectively, getting on the same page with finances, and keeping your relationship thriving during a difficult time. Whether you’re in medical school, residency, or out in clinical practice, Residency-Proof Your Marriage is going to help you build a thriving medical marriage.
The price is $69 for students and trainees, and only $99 for practicing physicians. This is a very inexpensive investment in your marriage. A weekend marriage retreat will cost upwards of $1000 between food, registration, lodging, and vacation time.
Registration for the beta course is closed, but get on the waitlist for the course launch this fall!
For this course, you’ll get all the great content in the course for a fraction of the price and you complete it on your own time as your schedule allows. Go to www.thescopeofpractice.com/marriagecourse to sign up today.
This week’s free resource is an e-book I wrote called A Physician’s Prescription for Success in Business and Personal Finance. It has some great articles to get you started on some basics of business and personal finance that’ll give you practical tips to increase your business growth, eliminate debt, and start to build wealth.
Just click here to download your free copy today.
Check out the additional free resources available at The Scope of Practice!
- Business management resources
- Personal finance resources
- Podcasting resources
- Recommended online courses
- Recommended books
Meet Dr. Marla Ranieri, founder of a major telemedicine company!
BetterAccess is a best-in-class HIPAA compliant online scheduling and patient management platform that supports all digital access touch points from the patients’ first step and throughout their healthcare journey from acquisition, intake, communication, and provision of care.
Connect to Dr. Marla Ranieri and her telemedicine company!
Most physicians and dentists come out of training programs with a huge amount of personal debt and little to no idea of how to actually run a clinical practice. This Facebook community is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to manage their business more successfully and master their personal finances.
The Doctor Podcast Network is a group of physician and physician family podcasters with incredible messages to share with physicians. I’m incredibly excited to be a founding member of the organization. We are a large and growing network with incredible outreach.
We podcast about any and all topics that are important to physicians and their families including:
- Financial wellness
- Business mastery and leadership
- Marriage and family support
- Real estate
- and much more!
Click here and come check out the great podcasts that are a part of the network. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast, we’d love to have you join us! Help us reach out to physicians all over the world!
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode
- 01:17 – Subscribe to the podcast, and please share it with someone!
- 01:41 – Get access to the webinar: “Smart Strategies for Building a Successful Clinical Practice.”
- 02:12 – Get the free benchmark assessment of your revenue cycle from Gentem (valued at over $5000). Click here to get that assessment.
- 03:28 – This week’s sponsor is Locumstory.com.
- 04:04 – Introduction to Dr. Marla Ranieri.
- 04:54 – Let’s meet Marla Ranieri! What led her into telemedicine?
- 06:41 – Marla Ranieri shares a unique story about a previous job interview.
- 09:21 – How did Marla come to start her telemedicine company?
- 12:43 – Who are the primary customers of telemedicine?
- 14:14 – Telemedicine gives us an opportunity to turn free healthcare into a revenue-generating model.
- 18:08 – Is telemedicine here to stay?
- 19:30 – Is there demand for telemedicine from a consumer side? Marla Ranieri thinks so!
- 21:05 – Are there generational differences in the use of telemedicine?
- 23:33 – Telemedicine can be valuable for people who have a difficult time getting out to the clinic. Marla Ranieri says that you can even help them do a three-way call to conference in a family member or other caretaker.
- 25:54 – Dr. Marla Ranieri shares the most common objections to using telemedicine and having those conversations recorded.
- 28:46 – You can record conversations on a telemedicine call and use those as a testimonial or other marketing opportunity.
- 30:18 – What kind of special technological considerations are there for choosing a telemedicine company? Dr. Marla Ranieri has some good ideas.
- 32:13 – Does telemedicine lend itself to a less personal interaction compared to the in-person visit?
- 33:23 – Are the rates of reimbursement for telemedicine calls sufficient to make sense as a business model?
- 34:58 – Telemedicine reimbursement rates are constantly changing, so you need to pay attention so that you don’t put yourself in a vulnerable position from a business standpoint. Dr. Marla Ranieri says we need to stay in close touch with the rules and regulations governing telemedicine.
- 36:16 – How does the telemedicine system integrate into telemedicine?
- 37:40 – What do we need to do to make sure we’re HIPAA-compliant with our telemedicine calls?
- 39:04 – Are there any specialties that struggle to integrate telemedicine into their practices?
- 40:27 – What are some ways we can get our staff involved with telemedicine?
- 42:21 – Connect to Dr. Marla Ranieri.
- 44:40 – Summary of the episode
- 45:32 – This week’s free resource is a guide called “A Physician’s Prescription for Success in Business and Personal Finance.”
- 46:05 – Get the free benchmark assessment of your revenue cycle from Gentem (valued at over $5000). Click here to get that assessment.
- 46:50 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.