Sunday Special 02 – “Cutting for Jesus” with Dr. Jason Mizell
Sunday Special 02 – Physicians CAN be a witness for God in their career. Dr. Jason Mizell has a lot of valuable insights into how to do just that. As a medical school professor, he has worked tirelessly to serve the students and residents at the University of Arkansas Medical School. He sees it as part of his mission to ensure that he is setting a Godly example for others to follow.
In this episode, Dr. Mizell shares how he navigates the difficult path of being a faithful witness and staying within the bounds of university policies. His students and peers have honored him as a top medical educator, and he has used that platform for God’s glory.
His tips on how to share your faith in your career will encourage you. This episode is a lot of fun, but there’s also a lot of really valuable content that you can take with you to grow your own witness at work.
My priorities are my faith, my wife, and my job. My faith is number one, so I’m going to devote my greatest mental energies and focus to that.
– Dr. Jason Mizell
This is a medically-themed devotional series with Bible passage discussion, reflection questions, prayers, and action steps to take each day. It’s a great series, and you can download it for free below. Special thanks go to Nicole Byrum for contributing 7 devotionals to create week 2 of the series. It’s a great mental health-themed series subtitled, “The God of All Comfort.” You should also go check out Nicole’s blog here. Download the devotional series for free!
Connect with Dr. Jason Mizell:
Dr. Mizell obtained his medical degree and completed a general surgery residency at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, Louisiana. He then went on to complete a fellowship at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas in colon and rectal surgery. He is currently an Associate Professor of surgery at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences where he has a busy colorectal surgery practice.
Listen to his other episode: How I Teach My Kids and My Students to Be Masters of Personal Finance
Featured community: The C12 Group
Each month, C12 gathers thousands of Christian CEOs and business owners in Peer Advisory Groups across the globe. These leaders help each other make better decisions, avoid costly mistakes, create solid plans for growth, and thrive in their calling to create impact beyond the bottom line.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode.
- 04:52 – Introduction to Dr. Jason Mizell
- 05:37 – We are here to boldly speak the name of Jesus and give hope to a dying world.
- 06:15 – Dr. Mizell shares how he came to accept Jesus Christ as his Savior.
- 07:42 – Spiritual mentors are critically important to one’s spiritual walk. Dr. Mizell shares some experiences with his mentors, and how he has tried to mentor his students.
- 09:49 – Dr. Mizell has gotten some great opportunities to mentor some students and host a Bible Study at his home.
- 11:21 – Dr. Lacey recalls his interaction with spiritual mentors in the Christian Medical and Dental Association in medical school.
- 13:12 – Small time investments reap huge dividends. Students don’t get a lot of direct mentorship, so any time you can give them is a huge blessing.
- 14:59 – The Business of Medicine curriculum that Dr. Mizell created is his mission. He feels called by God to do that work, and it has opened up a number of great conversations that opened students’ eyes to how they can express their faith in their clinical practice.
- 18:21 – As a university asset, there are limits to how you can express your faith, but Dr. Mizell has found ways to navigate around those tricky waters.
- 19:51 – The essence of the Christian witness is being “in the world and not of the world.” Students notice the difference! So do patients!
- 20:50 – Medical missions trips offer amazing opportunities to serve those less fortunate than us and shine the light of Jesus to the darkest corners of the world.
- 22:12 – Financial freedom offers us the opportunity to go on missions trips without financial burden.
- 22:31 – Financial freedom isn’t about having more stuff. It’s not about being able to have more, it’s about being able to DO more for others.
- 23:12 – Dr. Lacey shares an example of a couple that shared amazing blessings with medical students, including Dr. Lacey’s family. That has impacted him and changed the way he interacts with finances.
- 25:42 – Dr. Mizell and his wife enjoy utilizing their home to host people and share God’s love with others. They also get to enjoy opportunities to have intentional conversations with their kids about how they’re spending their money.
- 27:59 – How are you using your money? Are you being intentional about how you utilize your money?
- 30:20 – Dr. Mizell shares how his faith influences how he cares for his patients.
- 32:57 – It’s easy to forget the impact that our work has on people. We have a tremendous opportunity to bless our patients with the work we do.
- 35:08 – Sin, death, and disease abound in our world. But, they will know we are Christians by our LOVE!
- 37:34 – Medical training tends to draw us away from our faith. We have to work to stay anchored to our faith! Dr. Lacey shares a story about how learning about the human body gave him greater appreciation for God’s Creation!
- 40:33 – Dr. Mizell shares his favorite Bible verses that have given great impact in his life.
- 42:49 – Dr. Mizell shares his parting wisdom for our listeners.
- 44:57 – Summary of the episode.
- 46:32 – Free resource: 14 day devotional series called “The Body of Christ.”
- 48:22 – This week’s featured community: The C12 Group.
- 51:56 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.