Sunday Special 03 – “America Needs Jesus Right Now!” with Dr. Pat Young
Sunday Special 03 – The United States is in a crisis right now! It’s not an exaggeration to say that there is a large percentage of the U.S. population that would love to see the American experiment end. America has been the source of the greatest expansion of wealth, promotion of freedom, and elimination of poverty in the history of humanity. Ending that would be an unmitigated disaster! America needs Jesus now more than ever!!
In this episode, Dr. Pat Young talks about his experience as a physician over the past two decades. He served over 20 years in the U.S. Navy. Now, he continues his mission of teaching, coaching, and serving both his patients and his students and trainees. He is an incredible leader and really understands what it takes to be able to share your faith in times like this.
This is an empowering episode with one of the great physician leaders of our modern times. You’ll come away from this episode encouraged and emboldened to share the good news of Jesus Christ with a dying world. America needs Jesus, and you can share that with them!
“God promises His Word is a light to our path. He illuminates the next right step, and that’s enough for me.”
– Dr. Pat Young
This is a medically-themed devotional series with Bible passage discussion, reflection questions, prayers, and action steps to take each day. It’s a great series, and you can download it for free below. Special thanks go to Nicole Byrum for contributing 7 devotionals to create week 2 of the series. It’s a great mental health-themed series subtitled, “The God of All Comfort.” You should also go check out Nicole’s blog here. Download the devotional series for free!
Connect with Dr. Pat Young:
Dr. Pat Young is a national leader in Gastroenterology, currently serving as the Vice Chair of the American College of Gastroenterology’s Board of Governors and the Division Director for the Digestive Disease Division at the Uniformed Services University. He has a passion for both learning and teaching and is focused on helping others to be the best they can be through mentorship, sponsorship, and coaching.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode.
- 00:50 – Explanation of The Sunday Special
- 02:42 – Today’s Bible verse: “From the ends of the earth I call to you. I call as my heart grows faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” – Psalm 61:2.
- 02:55 – America needs Jesus right now!!
- 04:10 – Introduction to Dr. Pat Young
- 04:50 – Dr. Pat Young shares his personal history.
- 06:35 – Dr. Young shares his leadership experience with the American College of Gastroenterology.
- 07:30 – Sometimes it’s better to be responsive to opportunities than to have long term plans for the next 10 years.
- 11:05 – Dr. Young shares his personal spiritual journey, starting with an invitation from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
- 13:58 – It has become common for American youth to fall away from the faith when they go off to college. Every child in America needs Jesus!
- 15:20 – It’s important to have Christian men and women in your life that can challenge you in your faith and help you grow.
- 16:22 – If you’re serious about your faith, make sure your spouse is serious too!!
- 17:11 – Dr. Young shares his experience with the Christian Medical and Dental Association.
- 23:28 – God’s hand was at work in moving Dr. Young into the military, but it wasn’t his original plan.
- 26:40 – Dr. Lacey shares his first experience with the Navy, seeing the U.S. Naval Academy.
- 28:40 – The military is a deeply religious community. If America needs Jesus, the military needs Him more!
- 30:57 – There is some natural overlap between the military physicians and chaplains.
- 32:43 – Science and faith are not mutually exclusive!
- 38:37 – Scientific evidence tends to support the existence of the Christian God.
- 39:54 – If you don’t teach your kids how to counter logical arguments against Christianity, they may fold when presented with those arguments.
- 41:58 – Dr. Young shares some Bible verses that have been important in his career.
- 44:03 – Dr. Young shares his parting advice for physicians looking for ways to share their faith at work.
- 48:20 – Are you working in your mission field?
- 49:10 – Dr. Lacey challenges us to boldly speak the name of Jesus to someone at work this week.
- 49:41 – Free resource: 14 day devotional series called “The Body of Christ”
- 51:05 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.