Sunday Special 06 – “How to Become Debt-Free and Live the Life You Deserve” with Dr. Jeff Anzalone
Sunday Special 06 – If you’re drowning in debt, unsure if you’re going to have enough money saved for retirement, or just not secure in your current financial situation, this week’s podcast guest knows exactly how you feel. Dr. Jeff Anzalone has been debt-free for years, but it wasn’t always that way.
Just 2 weeks before he graduated from residency, he lost his job opportunity that he’d planned on. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, an interest-only mortgage, and a new baby were waiting on him to make a plan. He worked hard to pay off all of the student loans, and now he coaches other physicians and dentists on how to do the same.
You deserve to live a life of happiness, but it may take some hard work to get you to that point. In this week’s episode, Dr. Anzalone and I explore the world of debt and credit, and excising those from your life in order to gain security in your personal finances.
“Discontentment is a cancer in our lives. We go into debt to live just a little bit better than we can afford, then we suffer from the pressure of not being able to pay our bills.”
– Dr. Jeff Anzalone
This is a medically-themed devotional series with Bible passage discussion, reflection questions, prayers, and action steps to take each day. It’s a great series, and you can download it for free below. Special thanks go to Nicole Byrum for contributing 7 devotionals to create week 2 of the series. It’s a great mental health-themed series subtitled, “The God of All Comfort.” You should also go check out Nicole’s blog here. Download the devotional series for free!
Meet Dr. Jeff Anzalone
Dr. Jeff, like most people, dealt with many failures and setbacks along his path to success. Only two weeks before completing his surgical dental residency, his plans fell through to join a group practice which he was relying on to teach him how to run a business.
This left him with no job, an interest-only mortgage, a two month old and close to $300,000 in student loan debt.
After becoming debt-free, he shifted his focus to acquiring streams of passive income using real estate as he realized that his practice income was their only income stream at the time.
He now uses his blog, DebtFreeDr.com to educate doctors and other high-income professionals on how to passively invest in real estate so that they can stop trading their time for money.
- 00:00 – Introduction to the episode.
- 02:30 – Subscribe to The Scope of Practice Podcast
- 02:59 – Today’s Bible verse is: Philippians 4:12-13: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.”
- 03:39 – Introduction to Dr. Jeff Anzalone.
- 04:36 – Dr. Jeff Anzalone shares how he came to accept Jesus Christ as his Savior.
- 06:37 – Having people in your community who can push you, motivate you, and encourage you is hugely important.
- 08:18 – When you’re struggling with something, one of the most valuable assets to have is someone who has been through what you’re going through and who can help you walk through it.
- 11:31 – As a dentist or doctor, you may struggle with paying off debt, and that can be really difficult. You’re already starting off way behind the power curve.
- 12:40 – Dr. Anzalone shares his passion for becoming a debt-free doctor and coaching others to do the same.
- 13:37 – Dr. Jeff Anzalone shares the devastating story of how he lost his job right before he started working in his first practice and how he came through it.
- 14:55 – What does the Bible have to say about debt?
- 17:04 – Discontentment is a cancer in our lives. We go into debt to live just a little bit better than we can afford, then we suffer from the pressure of not being able to pay our bills.
- 24:10 – Does the Bible say that it’s wrong to become wealthy? Dr. Jeff Anzalone doesn’t think so.
- 27:58 – God doesn’t make everyone equal in terms of ability and talent. Everyone is different though equally valuable. Wealth is not evil! If you have more money, you can do more to help people.
- 30:45 – The difference between a hoarder and a philanthropist is heart.
- 33:15 – A tithe is 10% of your income given to your church.
- 35:38 – Tithing is giving 10% to the church. Giving above that is considered an “offering.”
- 37:15 – God doesn’t need our money. He wants our hearts! He wants to make us more like Him.
- 38:34 – Dr. Jeff Anzalone shares a Bible passage that has had a major impact on his life: 2 Corinthians 9:7 – “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
- 41:55 – Dr. Anzalone shares his parting advice.
- 44:13 – Connect with Dr. Jeff Anzalone (Debt Free Doctor).
- 47:01 – Summary of the episode.
- 48:55 – Free resource: 14 day devotional series called “The Body of Christ”
- 49:59 – Signing off!
Listen to the next Sunday Special episode
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.