Sunday Special 11 – Real Life as a Physician Mom – Dr. Elena Shea
Sunday Special 11 – My guest on The Sunday Special today is Dr. Elena Shea. She’s a full-time pediatrician and a full-time physician mom. A lot of you know exactly what that’s like. I’m a full-time physician and a full-time dad, so I totally understand what it’s like to be a working parent. It’s hard, right?
You’re constantly getting pulled in a lot of different directs and it’s normal to feel guilty about how much time you’re spending either at work or at home. It’s easy to get trapped into feeling like you’re failing in one area or the other. Dr. Shea knows all about that, and she’s going to have a very candid conversation with us about being a working mom, and what it looks like to strive for excellence in all areas of life. This conversation is raw, it’s real, and it’s really going to encourage you.
Email Dr. Brent Lacey for help with career or personal finance coaching.
This is a medically-themed devotional series with Bible passage discussion, reflection questions, prayers, and action steps to take each day. It’s a great series, and you can download it for free below.
Also, we are expanding The Body of Christ to a full 90-day series, and we are now accepting submissions from guest authors for the devotional series. If you want to contribute to the series and write some of the devotionals, please let me know!
Guest authors get full attribution and promotion for their business, blog, or podcast. You can email me at mailto:email@example.com.
Meet Dr. Elena Shea
Connect to Dr. Elena Shea!
- How to build and implement a successful long-term finance strategy
- How to budget effectively without going crazy
- What to do in order to get you and your spouse on the same page with your finances
- Writing a resume
- How to find the right practice to join
- Or anything else related to business or personal finance
I’d love to help you so you can have the successful career and financial freedom you deserve. Just click here and email me to set up a free consultation to determine if one-on-one coaching is right for you.
I’ve coached hundreds of families to eliminate millions of dollars in debt and get their finances on track, and I’d love to help you do the same so you feel safe knowing your career and personal finances are as strong as you want them to be.
- 00:00 – Introduction to The Sunday Special.
- 01:58 – Subscribe to The Scope of Practice Podcast
- 02:20 – Today’s Bible verse is: Isaiah 55:8-9 – “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts..”
- 02:47 – Today’s episode is sponsored by MR Insurance.
- 03:49 – Introduction to Dr. Elena Shea.
- 04:50 – The Sunday Special is an opportunity for us to speak boldly about our Christian faith.
- 06:30 – Let’s meet Dr. Elena Shea, full-time physician mom!
- 07:48 – Neither Dr. Elena Shea nor Dr. Lacey had a particularly unique or dramatic story about coming to Jesus as their Savior. And yet, this is the same story that many Christians around the world share.
- 10:25 – Dr. Elena Shea shares that we as Christians often have doubts about our faith. We have to struggle with our faith, ask questions, test our faith, and through that our faith becomes stronger.
- 12:10 – We come to Christ with a childlike faith, but we aren’t meant to stay as children. God wants us to grow in our faith, and that means continuous learning.
- 14:48 – What got Dr. Elena Shea into pediatrics? Does she love being a physician mom?
- 19:24 – How does Dr. Shea express her faith in her career? Did she ever experience opposition or hostility?
- 22:22 – Does a patient’s religious beliefs get in the way of practicing medicine?
- 24:18 – Being Christian, does that help you connect to your patients on a deeper level?
- 26:56 – What does it look like to be a physician mom? How do you balance everything?
- 31:00 – A real physician mom often struggles feeling guilt and shame. It’s hard to deal with that, and it’s helpful to have a community to support you.
- 33:30 – Working moms and stay-at-home moms both feel at times that the other people are “doing it right.” You’ve got to get beyond those times and just decide that you’re going to do what’s best for your family.
- 35:00 – A physician mom needs support, says Dr. Elena Shea. What is your community?
- 37:25 – As a physician mom and a Christian, Dr. Elena Shea says that we need to have a community of “real people,” not just online friends.
- 39:26 – Dr. Elena Shea shares the Bible verse that has been on her heart lately.
- 41:05 – We get the last bit of parting advice from a physician mom, Dr. Elena Shea.
- 43:46 – Connect to Dr. Elena Shea, find out what it takes to be a physician mom, and learn to love the “Peds Mom Life”!
- 44:54 – Summary of the episode.
- 45:50 – Free resource: 14 day devotional series called “The Body of Christ”
- 47:28 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.