Sunday Special 01 – “The Power of Prayer” with Dr. David Levy
Sunday Special 01 – Up to 80% of patients in surveys report an interest in having their physician pray with them. As physicians, it’s good for us to find ways to care for someone’s spiritual health as well as their physical health. The power of prayer is an incredible thing to witness. Regardless of your faith background, prayer has a powerful impact on a patient’s well-being and state of mind. This is an exciting episode about the power of prayer.
In this episode, Dr. David Levy shares his experience with praying with his patients before his surgeries. He is the author of the popular book, Gray Matter, which details many of his experiences.
This episode is the first of a special series called “The Sunday Special.” It’s an opportunity for us to talk to a Christian physician about their faith in God, their personal spiritual journey, and how their faith influences their career. This is a separate series from the usual weekly episodes on business management and personal finance mastery.
I hope this episode offers you encouragement, hope, and love. Thank you for listening!
I don’t want to miss a “divine appointment.” Maybe I’m coming into their life just to be the person who gives them the encouraging word they need: that God loves them.
– Dr. David Levy, author of Gray Matter
The Body of Christ: A 7-day devotional series for healthcare professionals
As believers in Christ, we are many parts, but one body. This is a special medical-themed Bible study series for healthcare professionals.
You have successfully requested the free guide, "The Body of Christ: A 7-day devotional series for healthcare professionals"
Featured online community: Christian Professionals Worldwide
Join over 60,000 Christian professionals for networking, encouragement, and support as they grow their business for the glory of God!
Buy the book: Gray Matter
- 00:28 – Introduction to The Sunday Special
- 02:36 – The Bible verse of the day is 1 Peter 4:10 – “Each one should use whatever gifts he has been given to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.
- 04:08 – Introduction to Dr. David Levy.
- 04:27 – Dr. Levy shares his personal spiritual journey.
- 09:32 – Dr. Levy “rediscovers” Jesus.
- 11:02 – Jesus loved all the people, even the ones who turned against him.
- 12:37 – Praying with patients is a “gray matter.” How do you navigate the legalities of that issue?
- 13:42 – Up to 80% of patients when surveyed say they’d like to have someone pray with them. They want to experience the power of prayer.
- 15:14 – The military and other government entities restrict the opportunities of their employees to pray with patients.
- 16:32 – A life changing experience: a dentist prayed for Dr. Levy, and that prompted him to think about praying for his own patients.
- 19:55 – Responding in faith can have tremendous ripple effects for years or decades to come.
- 21:24 – Sometimes, we don’t get to see the effects of our prayers, but we’re still called to be faithful.
- 22:52 – Our chance to heal may give a patient a chance to come to faith in Christ. Sometimes, it’s as simple as opening the door for someone to walk through.
- 26:29 – Most of the time, we don’t get feedback on our actions and whether they help people accept Jesus. We’re still expected to be faithful, even if we don’t get to see the fruits of our labor.
- 30:12 – If patients reject your offer to pray with them, there’s no need to be discouraged!
- 33:22 – Don’t miss out on responding to a “divine appointment.” Take the first step of faith, then the next, and then the next.
- 34:25 – Taking that first step to reach out to patients and pray with them takes a leap of faith.
- 35:33 – Look for an opening to be able to share your faith with people.
- 36:40 – What happens if we pray with someone, we do our best, and there’s still a bad outcome?
- 40:20 – Do you need a friend or accountability partner to help lift you up when things go wrong?
- 41:57 – A lot of times, when things go wrong, we knew beforehand that something might be off or might be wrong.
- 43:02 – Dr. Levy shares a Bible passage that had a big impact on his life and career: Proverbs 3:5-6.
- 46:43 – Dr. Levy shares his parting wisdom for physicians who are struggling with how to incorporate their faith into their career.
- 50:54 – Connect with Dr. Levy
- 51:27 – Dr. Lacey shares his takeaways from the episode on the power of prayer and how we implement that in our daily lives.
- 52:16 – Free resource for this episode: The Body of Christ – a 7-day devotional series for medical professionals.
- 52:57 – Featured online community (LinkedIn): Christian Professionals Worldwide
- 57:32 – Signing off.
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.