Podcast Episode 05 – “The Physician Astronaut’s Approach to Business and Leadership” with Dr. Scott Parazynski
Episode 05 – Have you ever:
- Wanted to be an astronaut?
- Wondered what it’s like at the top of Mt. Everest?
- Heard of the “Silver Snoopy” award?
If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then you DEFINITELY need to listen to this episode. Dr. Scott Parazynski is an emergency medicine physician. He has logged over 23 million miles in space travel on 5 space shuttle missions. He also climbed Mt. Everest.
In this episode, he shares the leadership and business lessons that he’s learned through his career. This is a rich episode, full of amazing stories and great lessons for life and leadership.
Take your leadership game to a new level with Dr. Scott Parazynski.
The things in life that come to us the hardest mean the most.
– Dr. Scott Parazynski
Free Resource: 32 Easy Ways to Recognize Your Team Members
32 Easy Ways to Recognize Your Team Members
Most employees leave their job not because of their salary, but because they don't feel appreciated. Download this free guide to get ideas for how to recognize your team members for their work and turn them into raving fans!
You have successfully requested the free guide, "32 Easy Ways to Recognize Your Team Members"
Take the #YellowTuxChallenge!!
For this episode’s giveaway, I want to encourage you to think outside the box, so I’m issuing the Yellow Tux Challenge.
Come up with something fun, unique, or quirky that you can implement in your practice. The more interesting, the crazier, the better. Brainstorm with your staff. Maybe even have an “Ideapalooza.”
What’s one thing you can implement in the next two weeks to make a statement in your business?
It can be small or it can be big, but think differently!
Once you have your idea, take a picture or video and email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. My team and I will pick our favorite and announce the winner on the podcast on June 8th. The winner will receive a bundle of leadership and business growth books, including Jesse’s book, Find Your Yellow Tux.
So, if you want to raise your business to a new level, take the Yellow Tux Challenge.
- Step 1: Take a picture or video of your new standout cool idea for your practice,
- Step 2: email it to email@example.com,
- Step 3: Listen in on June 8th to hear me announce the winner. You’ll get some free promotion for your business plus an amazing bundle of books for building your business.
5 Leadership Lessons from the Astronaut Physician: click here.
Featured online community: Reel Docx
If you like fishing, fish stories, or just being on a boat with a friend, you need to check out Reel Docx! They have great resources on their site for the best fishing spots. They even have ways to connect with other docs in your area who like to fish. Check them out!!
Connect with Scott:
Buy the book
- 0:00 – Introduction to the show.
- 2:50 – Introduction to Dr. Scott Parazynski
- 3:46 – Big dreams often start when you’re very small.
- 4:49 – Becoming a physician didn’t mean giving up on his dream of flying in space.
- 5:40 – Scott actually competed for the astronaut program as a resident!
- 8:00 – The application process for the astronaut program was extremely competitive.
- 10:22 – When you get the call that you’ve achieved your dream, shout it from the rooftops!
- 11:14 – Your astronaut “call sign” probably isn’t the one you wish you had.
- 13:51 – Ready for blast off! What was it like?
- 16:23 – Every space flight is special. It just never grows old.
- 17:49 – Teamwork is vital to the success of any venture. No one is bigger than the mission.
- 18:54 – “Situationally appropriate” leadership fosters a culture where everyone feels comfortable sharing their thoughts.
- 20:03 – Brent and Scott share their experiences with remembering the disaster of the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrating on re-entry. Scott discusses what it took to bounce back mentally and emotionally from that episode.
- 23:47 – Leadership skills are forged in the fire of tragic circumstances. Good leaders learn from mistakes and create new paths from the lessons learned.
- 26:25 – Scott’s best day on the job was fixing a colossal problem.
- 30:29 – You’ll definitely encounter challenges you hadn’t anticipated. So, when you train, you need to train in such a way that you become accustomed to innovating. Adapt and overcome!!
- 33:47 – An incredibly moving story about bestowing a NASA team member with the highest award that can be bestowed by an astronaut.
- 36:39 – The most meaningful awards aren’t always glittery.
- 37:59 – Scott’s next mission: conquer Mt. Everest!
- 40:43 – Scott shares a story about giving up on a dream in order to make it home safely. Saying no to your dream doesn’t mean saying no forever.
- 43:15 – Despite the excruciating pain experienced on the summit of Mt. Everest, Scott was able to save a teammate’s life.
- 45:14 – Scott returns to Mt. Everest the next year and takes a unique souvenir with him.
- 46:42 – After an amazing career and series of adventures, Scott takes on a new challenge as the CEO of a tech startup company.
- 50:39 – Summary of the episode
- 51:39 – #YellowTuxChallenge. Send your picture or video of your quirky clinic idea to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 52:22 – This week’s free giveaway is “32 Easy Ways to Recognize Your Team Members.”
- 52:53 – This week’s featured online community for physicians is Reel Docx.
- 57:06 – Signing off!
Full Disclosure: Some of the links to the resources listed above may be affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra—it’s just a way to show you appreciate what we do here. Thanks for this.